PDA

View Full Version : A colorful fish for a 55?

traco
01-09-2009, 07:25 PM
I've currently got two black perculas in my 55 gallon. Will be setting up a 15 gallon sump once I get an overflow unit and have some live rock in it (have about 30 lbs of live rock so far) and am running a Deltec 300 for a skimmer which will be going in the sump also.

I may have some rics and zoas if I can find some colorful ones.

dsaundry
01-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Coral Beauty is a nice fish, or a Flame Angel, although I have found the Flames to be a bit finicky..They dont get too big as well...

my2rotties
01-10-2009, 06:15 AM
A Mandarine Goby for sure if you have pods and a Royal Gramma. Oh and a Fairy Wrasse is nice, really nice. NOt sure if they all get along but they are all beautiful.

Keri
01-10-2009, 06:22 AM
+1 on the coral beauty, they aren't always 100% reef safe but are often more so than other angels. I like my CB a lot, he has fabulous colours. (blue, purple, orange, yellow and pink)

reefy
01-21-2009, 11:43 PM
agreed with "my2rotties" Mandarine Gobie would be the best bet, but if youre loaded then you can go for a pair of Helfrich's Firefish Goby. or if you like angel I would go for a small regal angel(not recomended for under 90gal).

traco
01-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Well, if I can sell one of my tanks, I'm hoping to get a drilled 75 gallon (thanks Shelley ... lol). And now know I'll be getting some zoas and rics for sure so that changes what can go in the tank, I'm thinking?

Der_Iron_Chef
01-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Personally LOVE the Lemonpeel Dwarf Angelfish. They have this electric blue ring around their eyes and a bit on the fins, if I'm not mistaken. Absolutely stunning...my favorite centropyge.

Carmen
01-22-2009, 03:36 AM
Clown Fairy Wrasse/Solar Wrasse has plenty of color and lots of activity! (kinda not the best pic but you get the idea!
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/FTSJan08005.jpg

Trigger Man
01-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Clown Fairy Wrasse/Solar Wrasse has plenty of color and lots of activity! (kinda not the best pic but you get the idea!
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/FTSJan08005.jpg

i agree, great fish with nice coloring.

Borderjumper
01-22-2009, 05:58 AM
They ARE nice fish.. but ya better plan on keeping your tank covered. I have two and they hit the glass about 3 times!

J. has a tank full of them right now and another tank full of equally pretty wrasses.. purple heads and blue bodys. I didnt catch what they were called.

and yes LOL you will be happy if you listen to me and just buy a new drilled tank.. Glass is one of the cheapest parts of this hobby.:wink:

Whatigot
01-22-2009, 04:35 PM
personally, I wouldn't put a mandarin in a tank that was less than 1 year old with LOTS of LR and substrate...
Unless you know for sure it'll eat frozen and you are prepared to spot feed it often.

some specimens will go after any food, I know, but they are few and far between...

What about a school of zebra dartfish?

Rbacchiega
01-22-2009, 05:15 PM
+1 to avoiding Mandarins unless you can be sure they are eating and you have enough of a pod supply. If you have wrasses, you might not be able to sustain the two of them unless you can get them eating frozen/prepaired food.

I'd go with a lemon peel to...BEAUTIFUL bright active fish

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
personally, I wouldn't put a mandarin in a tank that was less than 1 year old with LOTS of LR and substrate...
Unless you know for sure it'll eat frozen and you are prepared to spot feed it often.

some specimens will go after any food, I know, but they are few and far between...

What about a school of zebra dartfish?

I agree. Mine eats anything you feed the tank but its hard to make sure he gets enough food because my tangs take everything from him when I spot feed him :(

He is kind of more work than I would like.

traco
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't have a mandarin, tank is too new, no pods. They are a beautiful fish but not fair to put into my tank.

dsaundry
01-23-2009, 02:32 AM
A rusty angel is pretty too, just be patient when looking for one...it took a bit but I found a beauty for my 27g at work. How about a nice shrimp/goby combo as well...:biggrin:

naesco
03-20-2009, 08:22 PM
+1 to avoiding mandarins unless you can be sure they are eating and you have enough of a pod supply. If you have wrasses, you might not be able to sustain the two of them unless you can get them eating frozen/prepaired food.

I'd go with a lemon peel to...beautiful bright active fish

+1

Leah
03-20-2009, 08:40 PM
As you guy's are talking about mandarin's I have seen many L.F.S feeding these fish blood worms and they seem to devour them. Sorry for the hijack. But have to say
that the purple firefish and even neon gobies are pretty.