PDA

View Full Version : Tang Question

Boomboy
01-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I know alot of people will say different things with this but i wanted some input and some suggestions.

i just got a new tank, and i thought it would be nice to have a tang in the tank, the tank is 80G and the system is 110. the dimensions are 28x28x24. though i wanted enough room for the fish to swim and i dont want to have to just buy a small tang and get rid of it later on. so my questions are

what is the minimum tank size you would have a tang in?
would it be ok to keep one in my tank?
also what species would be happy, if any?

also if there are some websites or books i can pick up to read about them. Never had a tang before and id rather to my research. this would be my display fish if i end up getting it.

thanks everyone.

Aquattro
01-09-2009, 06:04 PM
28 inches isn't much. Maybe a Kole. Don't believe any tang is happy in any tank, so we won't worry about the happy factor. The tank is really a bad size for tangs.

fdiddy
01-09-2009, 06:07 PM
The tank is really a bad size for tangs.

I'm assuming by size you're referring to the dimensions... And yes, I would agree with this.

naesco
01-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Tangs by their nature are swimmers and require the swimming room that longer tanks provide. ( 6 feet).
Thank you for showing your concern by asking before buying. In time you will have a tank to accommodate their needs and will be able to buy one at that time.

The best website for information, other than canreef, is www.wetwebmedia.com.
There are articles about tangs and other fish coral and inverts as well.

There is also a new updated paperback by Robert Fenner "the Conscientious Aquarist which I would recommend.

dkcrx
01-09-2009, 06:32 PM
I love tangs, so much so that my tank covers 20 square feet so they have lots of swimming space

Boomboy
01-09-2009, 06:53 PM
that must be a big tank, ok then i was thinking maybe there will be a smaller species but i guess not i wont get one then no worries. there are alot of show piece fish that can fit in the tank.

naesco
01-09-2009, 06:57 PM
that must be a big tank, ok then i was thinking maybe there will be a smaller species but i guess not i wont get one then no worries. there are alot of show piece fish that can fit in the tank.

Good decision. I know that it is tough for reefers to postpone a purchase until they have a tank suitable to accommodate them.
But we should provide them and all the critters we keep, optimal conditions for their care, eh.

Boomboy
01-09-2009, 07:10 PM
yes and no, there are so many beautiful fish out there, i orginally was going to just keep a bunch of smaller fish so the idea just popped into my head about 2 nights ago, so i was looking around.