PDA

View Full Version : How fat should Lawnmower blennies be?

my2rotties
01-09-2009, 02:36 AM
I know it's a pretty silly question but Waldo my LB is a porker. He is so fat his little flippers to each side of him hardly reach below him. When he's on top of rock and the wavemaker turns on, he almost tips right over...

He is healthy active and happy, but he was much skinnier when I bought him. Just checking if its okay or if he might have something wrong with him. Obviously he eats a lot but since he is my first LB I don't have any others to compare to him. He is such a fun fish and I'm sure glad I got him.

MikeP
01-09-2009, 03:02 AM
Mine was quite plump as well. I was going to post the same question a while ago but then he disappeared never to be seen again. I'm pretty sure he became a meal for my carpet nem :cry: (which I got rid of due to fish going missing). Here is a pic though...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q117/MikeP471612/Fish/4ca25da9.jpg

Skimmerking
01-09-2009, 03:05 AM
oh yes mine was like that too.... fat and couldnt swim he would float with the current... funny as heck to watch

Boomboy
01-09-2009, 03:56 AM
LOL that is one fat Blenny

my2rotties
01-09-2009, 04:12 AM
Okay Waldo has some catching up to do with yours Mike... I'm so sorry you lost him the way that you did. Waldo (named because we are always looking for him in the rock wall), is the most fun to watch and do his thing. His mouth is so huge its fun to watch him scuttle out for tidbits.

He also LOVES your old monti cap Mike... The damsels and my dogfaced puffer live and sleep in it as well.

Aquattro
01-09-2009, 05:00 AM
Just a note on these guys. I saw one in the wild and they're freaking huge!! Snorkelling over a giant poccilipora colony and this monster LB swims out to check me out. Scared the crap outa me!

spanky
01-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Wow...now that is one well fed fish haha. Are you sure the isnt a little pub somewhere behind your live rock that he might be frequenting?

xtreme
01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Ya, mine as just as fat. I don't think they ever stop eating.

Doug
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
If you guys remember the pics I once posted in regards to the blennie in Mikes tank, {when she lived in my 90g}, I always though it was just from eating but she layed eggs at pretty regular intervals. I guess they can do that, even without a mate to fertilize the eggs.

I still have the video of her spawning.

my2rotties
01-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I always joke that Waldo looks like he's going to give birth... maybe there's truth to it.

justinl
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
some fish often lay unfertilized eggs. I can't say for sure if this blenny does it as often as some other fish.