PDA

View Full Version : Christmas wrasse

spanky
01-09-2009, 02:33 AM
I bought a christmas wrasse and acclimated her for about an hour and when i let her out she dived down to my 3 inch snandbed and havent seen her since. Its been 5 days. I know they like to burry themselves but even when feeding no sign of her . Without sounding like a total idiot, is this normal?

mark
01-09-2009, 03:35 AM
how it was my canary wrasse, days before I seen it again.

spanky
01-09-2009, 03:55 AM
Well i hope yours eventually came out, its wierd not seeing a fish you just bought lol. I see the odd sand move or a head but thats about it.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Yeah mine did that for about a week before he really came out. He would stick his head out a bit but if I went near the tank, he was gone. Then one day he was just out and about.

silver arrowana
01-09-2009, 04:31 AM
I bought a royal gramma once only to see it in tank like 5 mins :neutral: since that time I never see it again !!! At first I thought it jumped out because I couldn't find anything in the tank??? but after a thorough search i still couldn't find it ??? :sad: I think my shrimp or hermit crab ate it after it die for some mysterious reason.:cry:

fdiddy
01-09-2009, 04:34 AM
From what I understand this is normal with some wrasses. My carpenter's wrasse never did this, but I'm not sure if they bury themselves like that. GL!

spanky
01-09-2009, 04:35 AM
I saw the green christmas wrasse you had and honestly thats why i wanted one. My wife bought me one and it was a female figi christmas wrasse, not near as nice as yours but still a nice fish. I was a little dissapointed, i thought they all looked like yours but nevertheless was happy. Thanks for the input im a little relieved to tell you the truth.

Yeah mine did that for about a week before he really came out. He would stick his head out a bit but if I went near the tank, he was gone. Then one day he was just out and about.

mark
01-09-2009, 04:38 AM
Problem was more the wife going on joking about buying a fish you never see, but eventually mine would only hide back in the sand at night or if I put my hand in the tank.

spanky
01-09-2009, 04:42 AM
My fish was wife and twin brother buying a fish for me.....i told them a christmas wrasse but to my ignorance didnt know they all didnt look like a GREEN christmas wrasse haha. I was a little shocked when i saw the bag they were proudly showing me and said "what the hell is that" haha. Still a nice fish if it ever shows its face again.

untamed
01-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Normal...but I would start to be concerned if he doesn't reappear in another day or so.

spanky
01-09-2009, 05:38 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I guess if i start seeing the hermit crabs and the shrimps having a buffet in the sand bed, my christmas wrasse didnt make it.

Normal...but I would start to be concerned if he doesn't reappear in another day or so.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-09-2009, 06:15 AM
^^^I would look for it if you haven't seen it in a few more days...

justinl
01-09-2009, 06:42 AM
you can really hurt a wrasse by digging in the sand for it. I would just leave it be for as long as it needs... should come out by then, if not it had already decided to die. if it comes down to you having to dig it out of the sand, then it's already too late for the fish.

spanky
01-12-2009, 12:08 AM
Just when i was losing all hope, this morning get up and theres my christmas wrasse swimming around like she owns the place. She was happy to take flake food and everything. Today was exactly 7 days of being buried. Im happy to actually see the fish i bought :smile:

AngryTriGGer
01-12-2009, 12:24 AM
Same thing happened with my Dragon wrasse, didn' t see him for about 5 days. Then one night I was going to turn out the lights and he popped out. Took him almost a week till he was used to lights on lights off. Now he and my cleaner wrasse are in "bed" at 9 PM. Lights out.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-12-2009, 06:47 AM
My Christmas Wrasse would consistently go to bed 10 minutes before lights out. It was amazing because it was almost to the minute. He would be swimming around and then just suddenly dive into his spot in the sand each night at the same time.

justinl
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
glad to hear he popped out! i figured it would eventually. you know you're obligated to take pics now right?

spanky
01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
glad to hear he popped out! i figured it would eventually. you know you're obligated to take pics now right?

Thanks, and i will try to take some pictures for sure.

kien
05-25-2009, 07:31 PM
how's your christmas wrasse doing? I'm thinking about getting one myself. Do they disturb corals? Hermit crabs? Cleaner shrimp?