PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever keep a Royal Dottyback with a Royal Gramma?

Carmen
01-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I currently have a Royal dottyback and would love to add a fellow canreefers Royal Gramma to my tank (72 G). My guess is this is probably not a good mix but thought I would just check if anyone has ever tried the 2.

Tom R
01-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I had a Royal Gramma in my 180G for at least 2 years when I added a Neon Dottyback. The Dottyback immediately forced the Royal Gramma into a hole in the rocks. They never fought, however within 2 to 3 weeks the Royal Gramma had starved to death.

Tom R

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 08:42 PM
If they couldn't work it out in toms tank ( I have seen his 'scape) then there isn't much hope for anyone else....

You might wind up with the one dottyback that goes against the grain though, but it's not worth the risk IMO.

Carmen
01-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Figured you'd say that.:wink:
Hmm, so keep the dotty or switch for a gramma??? I just don't know. Feel so guilty for getting rid of the dottyback since he's been such a "nice guy".

Tom R
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
By the way, I love my Neon Dottyback. This fish would be a great addition to anyone's tank.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u265/Tom_R/TOTM%20Corals/TOTM%20Fish/NeonDottyback.jpg

Tom R

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I have to say, I have 3 grammas in my 72 display and their antics are nothing short of quality aquatic entertainment...

Grammas can be kept in groups, I don't know if you can say the same for dottybacks.

My non reefing friends are always the most enthused about the grammas, so bright and always mistaken for dead by those outside the know.
Never aggressive to anyone unless they are protecting a nest or favorite hiding spot.

Just thought I'd weigh in as I have the same tank and am a big gramma fan.

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 08:53 PM
wow, how big do they get tom?
any aggression to anyone in your tank?

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
wow, how big do they get tom?
any aggression to anyone in your tank?

N/M, just pulled this off of the OA website...
Neon Dottyback

Pseudochromis aldabraensis

This eyecatching fish is well suited to the moderately aggressive community tank. However it has a well-documented belligerent streak and is a real threat to many aquarium cohabitants. It may attack and kill tankmates of smaller or equal size. Best kept with larger and more aggressive species. Feeds heavily on fireworms in the reef aquarium environment. Also will eat small tubeworms and ornamental shrimps.

Feed meaty foods including marine fishes, crustacean flesh, mysid shrimp and frozen preparations.

Size: 3.3 inches
Area of Collection: Arabian Gulf to Sri Lanka
Reef Suitability: Excellent

Wouldn't want to risk it in my open top, but man, that is one eye catcher of a fish.
does yours fit this description?

Tom R
01-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Other than the incident with the Royal Gramma he has been a fabulous addition to my tank. He does have attitude though. He has never gone after my shrimp or crabs. I mostly feed pellet food and he eats it as well as pods mysis and brine shrimp.

I had an Orchid Dottyback in their for 1 1/2 years however he jumped.

Tom R

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
funny how a fish can still jump after being happy underwater for 1.5 years...
No contest though, the neon is much more attractive.

JDigital
01-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Hey Carmen,

here's a pic of the Gramma in question... Since you haven't seen a decent pic of him...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/JDigital/23G%20Nano/IMG_0236.jpg

0sprey
01-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Tough call. Grammas are great, but if you have a dottyback you're already attached to... Fish really do have individual personalities.

If you decide not to take him...
Well... :puppydog:
I can think of another home. I can't seem to find a healthy gramma loreto specimen at the retail level right now.

Carmen
01-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Ah, Josh,
You just had to pull out the pic hey! He is Gorgeous!
....still thinking.....:wink:
Carmen

JDigital
01-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Ah, Josh,
You just had to pull out the pic hey! He is Gorgeous!
....still thinking.....:wink:
Carmen

No pressure at all!! :mrgreen:

my2rotties
01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I think Carmen should try... My Royal Gramma lives in my rock wall and never bothers any other fish. No fish bother him either. Not even my puffer and this little guy has been with me for almost as long as Griff (I think he likes clownfish due to the colour). I'm sure you will take the fish back or I can give the dottyback a nice home as well. I was going to buy him the other day, but didn't have the heart to take him. Carmen looks pretty attached.

Whatigot
01-09-2009, 05:19 PM
dottybacks and grammas are conspecific, meaning they look a lot alike.
Dottybacks are extremely aggressive while Grammas really are not unless defending a nest.
In my Marine Fishes book by Scott w. Micheal, it specifically says do not put these two fish together because the dottyback is extremely aggressive...

Heres a link to someone who tried to do the same...
http://www.reefland.com/forum/marine-fish-care-health-disease-treatment/20838-royal-dottyback-beat-up-royal-gramma-need-help.html

I wouldn't try it.