PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Buy...Kinda. - Yellow Assessor

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Felt somewhat bad for this fish at JL and after returning a well intended cashmere sweater from my mom from xmas, I walked into JL and looked for something to buy...
This cash was seriously burning a hole in my pocket and my GF joined me on this occasion and she was attracted to this little yellow fella who, as stated, I had seen before christmas but not since in a couple visits to JL...

I had seen these fish in many a book but nary a store and had actually thought he had been sold but I guess he was hiding when I was in on boxing day looking to blow some dough a couple weeks ago.

I added him last night, he is now living with 2 clown gobies, 5 Chalk Bass and 3 Royal Grammas.
I have 'scaped my tank with these fishes ideal habitats in mind (a plethora of overhangs and caves) and I am just wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular fish and with other basslets in particular...

My tank is an open top, so this could work out to be a relatively expensive jump but I am banking on all of these fish being peaceful and not causing enough stress for my new assessor to jump.
I have had 5 chalk bass in this thing for 7 months now without a single loss and they are reputed to be jumpers too.

put him in last night, with the lights off, here's hoping hes hungry when I get home (let alone, still in the tank)...
Will post a pic later if anyone is int.

Cheers, looking forward to a voice of experience here.

Chowder
01-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I've had one for about a year and a half now. Great fish lots of personality when he is not feeling stressed from other fish. It does hide more often when I put wrasses with him. When I lost the wrasse it is out all the time now. One of my favorite fish. Never have worried about it jumping.

Chris

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 04:33 PM
are you open top as well chris?
thanks for the input....

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 05:10 PM
n/m.
Just looked at your journal.
Very nice btw, but I see you do run an open top.

Thanks very kindly for the relevancy of your comments.
Very helpful for me.

Chowder
01-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Sorry just got back on. Open top, but I do have a shelf about a foot above the tank with to pendents hanging down from them. I have heard fish bounce off it or lights in the past. I have never seen the assessor jump.

Chris

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
That's funny, my 72 is set up virtually the same way...
A shelf mounted on the wall behind the tank with 2 hamilton Reefstars attached to it on the underside.
I'm sure, like me, you love the extra heat dispersion as well as the aesthetics.
Now, having seen your tank thread, thats where our similarities end, your tank is absolutey gorgeous man.
You must have great discipline to have such an unbelievable selection of inverts, what colors man, just wow.

I was just warned before I bought the assessor that they were jumpy, might have just been careful lfs base covering though.

Feeling more confident in my purchase now, a thank you.

Chowder
01-08-2009, 08:57 PM
No problem and thanks for the kind words.

Chris

reeferious
01-09-2009, 02:24 AM
over the years i've had my share of suicide bombers i mean suicide jumpers that i finally went to my friendly neighborhood glass store and asked them to cut me few pieces of thin laminated safety glass which i then glue together to form a grid around tank. glass strips are thin enough that light hindrance is not a factor and if anything jumps it 99% o time just ends up with headaches.