PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Chompers

rgardiner
05-18-2003, 06:32 PM
J&L now stocks Chelidonura varians, labelled as "Flatworm Chompers" under New and Noteworthy livestock. I searched RC and these flatworm eating nudibranchs have a reputation of not lasting in reef tanks. My flatworms are getting out of hand though and I decided to try a pair. They've been in a few days now and are gradually becoming more active, and indeed eating flatties! They are also quite beautiful. Anybody else have any experience with these little guys?

Aquattro
05-18-2003, 06:34 PM
I think Adam also bought one of these this week. I have heard that they don't last long.

Jack
05-18-2003, 06:50 PM
Do they die after they run out of flatworm "food" or do they just have short lifespans in aquariums?

And wholy cow Brad 2000 posts :eek:

rgardiner
05-18-2003, 07:01 PM
The RC threads mentioned acclimation difficulties ie disappearing after only a few days. Somone speculated they may very well be starving by the time we get them and so particularly vulnerable to acclimation stress. Also they apparently have tendencies of going over overflows or sucked into powerheads. I've already noticed mine can be launched into the water column pretty easily - they seem very "light" and don't get a very good grip on things.

Jack
05-18-2003, 07:03 PM
Update us when you can whether these are considered worth it or not? Flateworm exit has been getting some good reviews.

Aquattro
05-18-2003, 07:14 PM
After following Susan's (Flameangel on RC) fight with FW, and her recent success with flatworm exit, I think that would be my choice of weapon against flatworms.

Doug
05-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Brad, we will see how all those posting on RC do after a decent period of time. Perhaps the "exit" is the answer, if it ever becomes stock in Canada again. :rolleyes:

I am a vet of the "flatworm wars" :drinking:

Taken my tank apart and treated so many times, the fish just get in the net now. :lol: Used everything but the "exit". I have treated every piece separate. After a spell of flatworm free, they come back. Slowly at first, but still there.

Livestock I have given friends either still sits in holding tanks, awaiting "exit", :rolleyes: , or has been put in a tank, believed to flatworm free, only to reproduce the plague. :cry:

The first couple of treatments, {before we knew of the perils of the toxin in killing them}, {I hope they all appreciate my experiments that helped them figure this out, :rolleyes: }, took all my acros.

So I await the "exit" to try again with my b-ionic flatworms. This will be my last try, following Susans experience. After that who knows, mayne a 20 gal. tank with some sps. :lol: