PDA

View Full Version : Error on Elos KH test kits

Jim Barry
01-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I have been using Elos KH test kits for several years and just purchased a new one. When I tested my water, I was showing a reading of 15 dkh. Needless to say, I freaked !!!

I checked the test kit at the LFS and they also had very high readings. For anyone using these alk kits, be aware the way you read these has now changed. Instead of 1 drop = 1dkh, it is now 1 drop =.5 dkh

Here is a link from reef central.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1420318

Jim

xtreme
01-07-2009, 09:14 PM
The instructions should indicate this shouldn't they? The Elos Ca and Mg test kits have also changed recently I think. Better resolution with them now.

Jim Barry
01-07-2009, 09:28 PM
The paper instructions read 1 drop = 1 dkh. There is a seperate card that has been inserted with pictures. On this card it reads 1 drop =0,5 dkh. It is very confusing

xtreme
01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Thats how my Mg was. The card shows 1 drop = 100ppm then it is crossed out and hand written in 1 drop = 75ppm? Could throw a person off if they're not careful, thats for sure.

reeferious
01-07-2009, 11:22 PM
pretty sure this was dreamt up by elios marketing team trying to double up their profit margin. tiny bit of improved measuring accuracy but costing user twice the moola.

reefy
01-07-2009, 11:23 PM
I have been using Elos KH test kits for several years and just purchased a new one. When I tested my water, I was showing a reading of 15 dkh. Needless to say, I freaked !!!

I checked the test kit at the LFS and they also had very high readings. For anyone using these alk kits, be aware the way you read these has now changed. Instead of 1 drop = 1dkh, it is now 1 drop =.5 dkh

Here is a link from reef central.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1420318

Jim

thanks Jim, I was going to my lfs to buy dKH buffer cuz I thought I have 18 dKH.... thanks again

albert_dao
01-07-2009, 11:31 PM
It was a response to the vocal minority who DEMANDED a higher resolution, D:

Johnny Reefer
01-08-2009, 01:32 AM
This isn't the first time Elos has had confusing instructions. One or two years ago alot of their PO4 kits had the wrong colour chart card. I forget exactly, but if memory serves me correctly it had something to do with European cards being different and some of these found there way into NA kits.

The Mg kit. First started using one of these about a month ago. I was missing the part where you are supposed to dump the first phase once the colour turns to green. I was adding reagent B,C, and D to the first solution. I wasted about 60 drops of reagent D trying to get the blue colour. After the first phase turns green, if they just say "Now discard this solution and repeat point 1.1" would be clearer.
There are also contradictions between the instruction sheet and the instruction card. In particular....shaking. One says to shake for "a few seconds", the other says to shake for "30 seconds".

Now the KH kit. I have one of these kits and was getting erroneous readings as well. But never bothered to look into it. Just went out and bought a Salifert kit. Kept the Elos, so I guess it will be useful when the Salifert is used up. Thanx for the info.

Other than an NO3 kit, these are the only types of Elos kits I've ever used. I wonder how many other Elos kits have, or had, erroneous instructions.

They seem to be good kits, but oy vey, enough with the instruction mistakes.

Cheers,

Jim Barry
01-08-2009, 02:33 AM
I hope people read this thread......... If you get a reading of around 14-16 dKH and decide to reduce your alk level as a result of this reading, it could end in disaster.

Jim

christyf5
01-08-2009, 02:47 AM
The paper instructions read 1 drop = 1 dkh. There is a seperate card that has been inserted with pictures. On this card it reads 1 drop =0,5 dkh. It is very confusing

It says the exact same thing on mine. It wasn't until I found the 0.5 part that I went ohhhhh and realized I had just wasted $15 to find out my alk was the same as my salifert kit reading :razz:

marie
01-08-2009, 02:52 AM
It says the exact same thing on mine. It wasn't until I found the 0.5 part that I went ohhhhh and realized I had just wasted $15 to find out my alk was the same as my salifert kit reading :razz:

The same thing happened to me except the "finding the .5 part" I have let my alk fall to 5 dkh without realizing it :redface:

I think I'll go back to my salifert kit :mrgreen:

fiorano
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
same my alk is 5:( hahahah i thought it was 10