PDA

View Full Version : phosban reactor?

fiorano
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
i was looking at j and l's two little fishies 150 phosban pro package

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=tf-reactor3

i was wondering if this is a good way to deal with phosphate removal as well as a good way to run carbon instead of the traditional sock of carbon which i forgot about and just realized i haven't been running any carbon for months lol. thx fellas :)

JDigital
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
It wouldn't do any harm.. I'm running a Phosban on my 75G from the first day of cycling, and I have yet to see much of an algae outbreak.. However, I have a very small bio-load right now, which I'm sure helps.

digital-audiophile
I use mine to run carbon. Good little unit, really does'nt hurt to have one around. :)

parkinsn
I am running the 2 little fishes 150 with phosban in it, it seems to have stopped my algae growth now its just a matter of getting rid of what's there already.

dkcrx
01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I have the same unit and found that the phosphate levels havent changed much after useing for aprox 2 months but for running carbon it is awsome.

Tom R
01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I have used my TLF reactor to run carbon for a number if years now. I have always questioned the efficiency of dropping a sock filled with carbon into my sump. With the TLF reactor I am satisfied that I have forced a certain flow to pass through the carbon.

Tom R

fiorano
01-07-2009, 09:26 PM
thx for the help guys i might just buy one for carbon then if it doesnt help with phosphate that much. what is a good phosphate removal media if i decide to still use it for both?

Hairytank
01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I run one two little fishies reactor and use Rowaphos in it. My phosphate always comes up 0 since adding it and helped with some problem algae that I had. I also have a clump of Chaetomorpha in the sump to utilize any "stray" nutrients.

parkinsn
01-07-2009, 09:53 PM
This is what my LFS recomeded

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=rw-phos0250

lobsterboy
01-07-2009, 10:06 PM
the 2little fish reactor === sweet sweet candy

JDigital
01-07-2009, 10:49 PM
This is what my LFS recomeded

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=rw-phos0250

I use the same stuff.. seems to be working great so far.. :mrgreen:

Boomboy
01-08-2009, 12:49 AM
i personally would get the Bulkreefsupply one, with the dual chambers one for each over the little fishies, but its just preference really. i want to run carbon and phos in my system, and its a good way to do it.

JDigital
01-08-2009, 01:02 AM
i personally would get the Bulkreefsupply one, with the dual chambers one for each over the little fishies, but its just preference really. i want to run carbon and phos in my system, and its a good way to do it.

You get two reactors with the TLF package as well.. You run them in-line with each other off the one pump.

fiorano
01-08-2009, 07:30 AM
thanks for all the posts guys :) i think im going to go pick this up or ... order hahah the shipping is cheaper than the gas :)

dstasiuk
01-09-2009, 03:49 AM

TLF and the Bulkreefsupply both do the same job, but the Bulkreefsupply one is MUCH easier to clean/service - big advantage for a job that needs to be done at least monthly...

e46er
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
i know the thread is 3 weeks old but i just got the TLF reactor with 2 chambers im going to run carbon and opti-phos......... does it matter which one is first in series?

PoonTang
01-29-2009, 12:25 AM
I run the carbon first, but i'm not sure it really matters other than the carbon will trap most of the detrious that gets sucked in.