PDA

View Full Version : Black velvet angel is dying

fishoholic
01-06-2009, 02:13 AM
As I type this my Black velvet angel is dying :cry::cry::cry: I have been worried about him because for the last 2-3 days I noticed he stopped eating, he was eating some mysis before that. I got home today and I couldn't find him. Steve lifted up a rock and he was behind it looking dead. However the rock moving spooked him enough and he swam out to the front of the tank where he then lied down in the corner and the other fish started to nip at him :bad-word:

I didn't want the other fish making a snack of him (couldn't bear to watch that happen) so I caught him (which of course was stressful for him, but since he wasn't doing well anyway I though maybe moving him could help) and put him in my new tank which has 2 chromis and a mandarin goby, who will leave him alone. He is at the back of the tank laying completely on his side not moving around and breathing very heavily :cry: I tried to put some mysis by him thinking if he would eat something maybe it would help, however he ignored it. I don't think he's going to last much longer, I don't think there is anything I can do for him. I'm feeling very sad but sharing my feelings help so thank-you for letting me do so. If nothing else at least he's not getting picked on/eaten by the other fish.

JDigital
01-06-2009, 02:54 AM
That's rotten! I'm so sorry to hear that..

Treebeard
01-06-2009, 02:55 AM
That really sucks man, sorry to hear about it. :cry: How long did you have him?

Trigger Man
01-06-2009, 04:18 AM
Sorry to hear, it sucks when all you can do is watch and hope. Any signs of disease?

Lance
01-06-2009, 04:18 AM
So sorry. That really sucks:sad:

fishoholic
01-06-2009, 04:44 AM
That really sucks man, sorry to hear about it. :cry: How long did you have him?

We got him on boxing day.

Sorry to hear, it sucks when all you can do is watch and hope. Any signs of disease?

He does have a few specks of ich on him, just a few dots basically, not cover in it by any means. I'm guessing with the lack of eating and the bit of ich *sigh* He's still breathing but not moving around :cry:

my2rotties
01-06-2009, 04:56 AM
I'm so sorry Laurie, this really sucks!!! I hope she makes a come back some how. It sucks so bad to lose a fish.:sad:

untamed
01-06-2009, 05:20 AM
Boxing Day until now....The fish I have lost over the years mostly died in that same time period. Transition. Stress. Cyanide. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with your tank. You can always tell if the fish makes it through a few weeks, they will be with you for the long term.

fishytime
01-06-2009, 05:37 AM
Hope he hangs on and pulls through for you. Beautiful fish. I think we underestimate the effect of stress and lactic acid build up in fish. Im an angler and it has been long known that a certain percentage of released fish will die due to not being able to recover from the latic acid build up caused from the stress of being caught. Every time we put a net to a fish it causes a stress probably equal to that of a fish caught on a line.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Sorry to har about your angel Laurie, I hope it recovers.

muck
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM
:sad:

fishoholic
01-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Well I wasn't wanting to look into my tank this morning, but I did, and unfortunately he passed away sometime last night :cry: It really sucks loosing such a beautiful and unique fish :cry: RIP my lovely velvet angel :cry:

tang daddy
01-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Im sorry to hear this, we all feel for you.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-07-2009, 02:11 AM
he's in the big aquarium in the sky with my eel Rasputin(i named him that because he survived everything, well, almost everything).

fishoholic
01-07-2009, 03:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and for understanding, and yes I'd like to think that Rasputin and him are in the big aquarium in the sky together keeping eachother company.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-07-2009, 03:41 AM
hopefully he doesn't try carpet surfing on the holy shag!!

my2rotties
01-07-2009, 04:15 AM
I am so sorry about your angelfish. You were so proud of her on Boxing day. My porcupine puffer has suddenly fallen ill this evening, and I can sympathize with how you were feeling. Everybody else is perfectly fine.

fishoholic
01-07-2009, 04:40 AM
I am so sorry about your angelfish. You were so proud of her on Boxing day. My porcupine puffer has suddenly fallen ill this evening, and I can sympathize with how you were feeling. Everybody else is perfectly fine.

Yes I was very excited when we found him. It is sad that we lost him, he is the first large fish we have ever lost. I hope your puffer gets better, I know how much you love Griff.