PDA

View Full Version : Moving into a 160g

fdiddy
01-06-2009, 01:45 AM
Well, I built myself a plywood tank of approx. 160g (63x24x24) and have a few questions. I will be moving from my 40 to the new 160. Any suggestions on how I should do this? I have been saving water from water changes that i've done on the 40. I've got about 65 lbs of LR in the 40 and bought an additional 130 lbs of base rock. Should i put the base rock in the water that i've been saving from the 40? Can this move be done safely in one day if I use the filter media, sand and LR from the 40? I'm assuming there will be some die off from the LR, but if the params are close enough, and i've got about 50g of old water saved up that should minimize die off... any suggestions?

banditpowdercoat
01-06-2009, 02:30 AM
Im stuck on Plywood tank??

e46er
01-06-2009, 02:38 AM
generally plywood tanks refer to 3 sides plywood and 1 side viewing glass and the plywood has plexiglass or silimar over it....... thats my understanding

JDigital
01-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Im stuck on Plywood tank??

Build a plywood box to frame in fiberglass.. The add some glass for the viewing panels. One of the older members built a 1000G the same way... Build thread in around here somewhere.

EDIT: Heres the thread: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31113&highlight=plywood

fdiddy
01-06-2009, 02:45 AM
lol well the plywood tank isn't the point of the thread, but what i used was aquapon - a 2-part epoxy to paint the inside of the tank. A friend of my father's has run one of these tanks for well over 10 years.

Shrimpy
01-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Did you use aquapon 35? How much did it cost for the aquapon?

KrazyKuch
01-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Yes it should be safe to move all in one day.....I went from a 77Gal to a 230Gal with no die off....Just put all the water you have been saving in the tank with the base rock...then when your ready to move transfer as much water as possible to the 160Gal then move all the non coral rock then move fish nad finally your corals.....Make sure you have the water heated and moving in the 160Gal

fdiddy
01-06-2009, 03:31 AM
Yes, aquapon 35. Bought if off of my father's friend. He charged me 40 bucks for what it took to paint my tank. Any thoughts on how to move. I think I'm going to make up some RO/DI saltwater in the tank, check params - If they check out ok then i'm going to put the base rock in the new tank. Once it is aquascaped I'm going to check params again. If they check out and are close to the old tank I'm going to frequently (every day or two) do small water changes (2 gallons) between the two tanks in order to get the water from the tanks exactly the same - should take maybe a week or two at most. During this time I'm going to slowly, one or two cups at a time move the LS from the old tank as well. Once all the LS from the old tank is in the new tank I'll move over the LR and livestock as well as old equipment until the new tank stabilizes. Then remove the equipment from the old tank a couple weeks down the road as the new equipment should be broken in by then. Any thoughts?

EDIT: Thanks Krazy (Kevin)!

mark
01-06-2009, 03:39 AM
I moved from a 75g tank and separate 33g crammed full of LR to a 200g (total system) in a day without problems.

Ideally should setup the 160g with the base rock, new salt water and some old then let it get established before adding the stuff from the 40g. I'd skip the sand, though maybe add some off the top for seeding.

fdiddy
01-06-2009, 05:04 AM
If i rinse the sand then can i use the old stuff? Seems like a waste to me. I have no problem buying new sand - which I have done already.

fishytime
01-06-2009, 05:25 AM
As said, use a few cups of the old sand to help seed the new sand. If you want to use the old sand rinse it and let it dry out. Keep it for top-off sand for when you end up siphoning some sand out.