PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my 150 gallon tank....question re: water changes

newreefer_59
01-05-2009, 09:36 PM
My reserve tank is ~ 23 gallons which represents about 15% of my tank. If I were to use the 23 gallons of RO-DI water for my changes, would this require a weekly water change for optimum conditions or less frequest ok - say every 2 weeks? It is a sump setup with protein skimmer.

Thanks.

banditpowdercoat
01-05-2009, 10:01 PM
The amount and frequency of water changes is a ongoing discussion. it is more tank contents dependant than size. More inhabitants, usually means more water changes.

mark
01-06-2009, 12:37 AM
My system volume is about 200g (with a 145g display), I'll change out 25g every 3-4 weeks.

Fish include a couple of tangs, a foxface, 3 clowns, 3 chromis two damsel and a 6-line wrasse in a moderately stocked mixed reef. I'm running a skimmer with a macro fuge and nitrates test at zero, total nuisance algae could fit in a teaspoon.

Sure larger or more frequent changes wouldn't hurt but I think my tank looks ok.

Black Phantom
01-06-2009, 01:54 AM
I always love this topic bcause it's so diverse. There are people that change up to 25% weekly and some that dont do that much every 6 months. I always look at the people with the nicest tanks and find out what they do.
There's nothing like a super nice tank to prove a point