PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Eggs?

fishytime
01-05-2009, 01:04 AM
Ok, so I am a nem newb. Is this normal for a nem? It looks like wee small spherical eggs almost the same color as pollen in side the "bubbles". Its been in the tank a little over a month and otherwise appears to be doing well.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP2531.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o19/fishytime/IMGP2532.jpg

fishytime
01-05-2009, 11:36 PM
Lots of brains here. Someone must have some idea whats going on here??

Delphinus
01-06-2009, 12:43 AM
Looks like a girls spawn to me :p

I've had anemones spawn on me before but they've all been male. It would be interesting to see if we could take say one my male BTA's and a split of this female BTA and let'er rip. :lol: Course getting them to spawn at the same time and then rearing larva are going to be the next thing :lol:

EmilyB
01-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Is dat my 'nem Fishy? Just curious, since it looks so much nicer with bubbles....Do I have the wrong lights....again....as usual.....:lol:

fishytime
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Is dat my 'nem Fishy? Just curious, since it looks so much nicer with bubbles....Do I have the wrong lights....again....as usual.....:lol:

It is your nem Deb. Thanks again btw. I am running HOT5s. 16 bulbs total mind you. I find your new avatar slightly disturbing. Please tell me its not what it looks like?:mrgreen:

banditpowdercoat
01-06-2009, 03:31 PM
It is your nem Deb. Thanks again btw. I am running HOT5s. 16 bulbs total mind you. I find your new avatar slightly disturbing. Please tell me its not what it looks like?:mrgreen:

What, kitty giving the puppy a dental checkup???

Pier Pressure
01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I was under the impression that anemones just split but I am by no means an expert. I had a rose bubble tip who disappeared and now have about 20 baby nems in the tank. One of these babies is about three times the size as the rest so I was thinking that was maybe the mama one. Not sure but I know your guess is definitely better than mine. I did not notice any eggy things on the bigger nem before the split, just FYI.

EmilyB
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
I find your new avatar slightly disturbing. Please tell me its not what it looks like?:mrgreen:

It's a dog playing with a cat, silly !!

hillbillyreefer
01-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Good Dog! Can I borrow it, I've got some cats that need playing with.

Sorry don't know anything about the nem Doug. Keep us posted, be interesting to know what they are.

reefy
01-07-2009, 12:01 AM
Ok, so I am a nem newb. Is this normal for a nem? It looks like wee small spherical eggs almost the same color as pollen in side the "bubbles". Its been in the tank a little over a month and otherwise appears to be doing well.

Fishtime: do you have a porcupine spiny (black) urchin? for me it looks like the crap that the urchin through out from his mouth/anus....

fishytime
01-07-2009, 02:23 AM
Well the little eggie things are gone. I dont see any new nems.:lol: I do have a blue tuxedo urchin, but how would something the nem ate show up intact in the bubbles? Im not familiar with anemone anatomy. Jeez say that five times fast.

sharuq1
03-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Soo mine's doing the same thing, you're not alone Doug, lol! Did some spot research on google and like delphinus said, nems can be either male or female, releasing either eggs or sperm into the water to propagate, much like corals do in the wild (and rarely in our tanks).

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/5653/1003949.jpg

I think mine's doing it because he, or I guess I should say she thinks she's dying =/ "She" got food poisoning a while back and has been bleaching since and unable to retract "her" stomach.

TJSlayer
03-23-2009, 11:16 PM
I think the reason they were asking about a urchin as I have seen the exact same things being excreted from my blue tuxedo urchin many times. Never from me nem.

But not sure if the urchin is "poopin" or iff they are eggs, but is it possible you urchin as nearby, did this and now they are stickin?

whatcaneyedo
03-24-2009, 12:36 AM
My five year old female sebae anemone spawned several times last year. In each occurrence it was after the lights had gone out. Eggs along with white fluid was released into the water column clouding up the tank and collapsing the foam head in my Becket skimmer for a full day. If you haven’t done it already I'd strongly suggest a big water change or the spawning event could nuke your tank like what happened to this guy:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php

sharuq1
03-24-2009, 02:05 AM
I did a 20 gal water change just yesterday. I'm not worried about it, the nem is very small. If it was large or I had a ton of nems like the guy in the RC link then I'd be pretty worried. (Cool link btw, seen it before, but still cool).

Anyone else ever see these "eggs" in their nem like that? I don't see how they could be in the tentacles if they are just urchin spawn, especially seeing as my nem can't eat due to the inverted stomach. Kinda neat though...

Lol Doug I 'jacked your thread :P

fishytime
03-24-2009, 03:16 AM
Lol Doug I 'jacked your thread :P

Not jacked....just revived:biggrin: Nothing ever came of my nem eggs, but it did split shortly after the egg sighting.