PDA

View Full Version : a more sensitive phosphate test??

christyf5
05-17-2003, 01:03 AM
Hey all,

So I've got the Seatest phosphate test. Is there a more sensitive one on the market?? This one says less than 0.2. I assume that is enough to fuel the lovely algae that I have now. I'm starting to wonder if there is phosphate in my makeup water which is just DI not RO.

Christy :)

Doug
05-17-2003, 01:10 AM
Christy, I have used the Salifert. It was good, I guess. I dont think many of them are good for measuring phosphates except maybe some expensive lab kits.

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 03:01 AM
Christy, I'm gonna bet there is something in your water. You just have too many algae problems!!

christyf5
05-17-2003, 03:49 AM
Ya this one is wiping out my sps. Lost 2 so far and another one isn't looking so hot.

:snipersm: !@#$ algae! :evil:

pocilipora
05-17-2003, 03:50 AM
How old is your sand bed?(Christy)

christyf5
05-17-2003, 03:59 AM
just over a year. not much life in it till I jumpstarted it a couple of months ago with other peoples sand (at least I didn't see much life in it). Now there's bristleworms and spaghetti worms and feather dusters and stuff. Still not up to snuff compared to others tanks though.

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:03 AM
Christy, I would suggest you try to find an RO unit, or buy some water at Overwaite. It's cheap after you've got the bottles.

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:06 AM
Well thats the thing. I just talked to someone where I get my water from and he says the water is run through a RO filter and is filtered at 10 megaohms as well as being distilled. I don't understand what is going on. This algae is new. I've never had this kind before. Long stringy and brown (a variation on the short bubbly and brown :razz:)

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:08 AM
Have you tested the water for TDS? Sometimes an RO membrane can get put in wrong, or doesn't get replaced when it should. You've had alot of algae problems, and the water seems to be a common factor.

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:11 AM
Well I tested the water I used before at 14 whatever on Jacks TDS meter. I haven't had a chance to test this new water I'm using. The other stuff was filtered at 18 megaohms (for chemical assays) the stuff I'm using now is only slightly less filtered. I guess I should check on whether the membranes have been changed lately.

pocilipora
05-17-2003, 04:12 AM
I may be wrong but Im thinking you may have a dirt trap for a sand bed. I recently had a dino algae problem. I did everything under the sun to kill it. Nothing worked... untill I removed all the sand! Makes me re think this whole deep sand talk. But having said that, I rinsed all my sand and have now added it back to the tank. No algae so far, but its only been 2 days :rolleyes:

pocilipora
05-17-2003, 04:15 AM
Isnt DI water more pure than RO I cant see there being a problem unless your water is just nasty.

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:16 AM
Well, as everyone knows, I have pretty much had problems from the beginning, even after rinsing my sandbed with FW to get rid of the flatworms. I don't know about it being the sandbed as the algae seems to come in cycles. One or two months of having a nice tank then a month of hell, alternating back and forth. Its really frustrating.

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:17 AM
I always thought that RO takes out the particulate stuff and DI condenses out the chemicals and stuff.

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:18 AM
Well I tested the water I used before at 14 whatever on Jacks TDS meter.

Chrsity, TDS should measure 0 for clean RO/DI water. 14 says there is something wrong :neutral:

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:19 AM
well nuts :confused:

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:21 AM
It "could" be the meter.... :rolleyes:

EmilyB
05-17-2003, 04:22 AM
If the DI cartridge is exhausted, it will be throw back crap into the tank, I believe. My DI tests at 3ppm right now, which is really high for me, I am awaiting new DI cartridges. The water from the RO portion only measures at 5ppm. However, that is dissolved solids...someone will explain what those are I hope???

I test phosphates at source zero. Then I pollute my tank with phosphates, feeding my zoo...

So I water change a lot.

And btw, has Brad told you how to get that Berlin performing? He's the only guy who still likes them...
:lol: :razz:

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:22 AM
yeah, that would be nice. I'll get the water tested ASAP.

pocilipora
05-17-2003, 04:23 AM
I know the reason I got an RO unit was that I was burning through DI cartridges extremly quickly. That told me that my make upwater was still contaminated. RO unit fixed that problem. Ive never used a TDS meter, but I do have one.

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:24 AM
Yes the berlin has all its various attachments and performance enhancers. I still think it blows though. Jack has set me up with a nice hot rod of a skimmer.

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:25 AM
Yeah I'll talk to the engineers at work. No doubt they have a TDS meter to figure out when to change cartridges.

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:25 AM
And btw, has Brad told you how to get that Berlin performing? He's the only guy who still likes them...
:lol: :razz:

Deb, to qualify that statement, we have to mention the price range. In that price range, I think they're great skimmers for Christy's size tank. Some people like those Euro thingys, but they be a lot of bucks!! I believe Christy has a skimmer upgrade planned for the near future.....?

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:26 AM
As soon as Jon gets his shipped to Jack, I get Adams old skimmer. At this point I am counting the days :mrgreen:

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:27 AM
As soon as Jon gets his shipped to Jack, I get Adams old skimmer. At this point I am counting the days :mrgreen:

What pump are you using?

christyf5
05-17-2003, 04:29 AM
I think Jack said it had a mag 12 on it??

Aquattro
05-17-2003, 04:31 AM
I think Jack said it had a mag 12 on it??

That'll work fine!

EmilyB
05-17-2003, 04:33 AM
Deb, to qualify that statement, we have to mention the price range. In that price range, I think they're great skimmers for Christy's size tank. Some people like those Euro thingys, but they be a lot of bucks!! I believe Christy has a skimmer upgrade planned for the near future.....?

Deb? :lol: No, I meant you could get that thing performing for a smaller tank, with the pump and the venturi thing. I just wondered if Christy was running with those mods.?

Jack
05-17-2003, 04:41 AM
Yep, a Beckett is on its way Christy! I hope you don't loose anymore livestock! :confused: And yes there is a Mag 12 with this skimmer, throttled back mind you. You could try your Mag 9 on it Christy but whatever works, right? It will be soon I just have to send Jon the cheque... I'm not sure if he's sent it yet?

Die algae, die.

StirCrazy
05-17-2003, 04:21 PM
The other stuff was filtered at 18 megaohms (for chemical assays)

by this do you mean they are using a electronic tester to measure the resistance of the water to "allow current" to determin the quality of the water?

If so this will only tell the amount of metals in the solution, or rather lack of metals. Phosphates will not conduct electricity so they will not me measured by a resistance based tester.

Steve