PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Clear 70 HOB Refuge. Pics and Instuctions

ElGuappo
01-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Well i finally broke down an devoted an aq 70 HOB filter to being a refuge. it turned out far better than i expected, and i used nothing more than what comes in the box when you buy it. with the exception of switching out he impeller with one from a AQ 30. i managed to assemble it so that i can even have as much as 1.5 inches of sand without a "sand storm" issue due to flow.

Unfortuatley i took no pics a i didnt really think it was going to work the way i set it up, but again its far better than expected. if anyone is interested in help doing this locally please feel free to PM me. any one not local i will draw up blue prints then post them here after i scan them.

Also you can pick up these impellers at any LFS if you ask them to order for you.

I will add pics when its completely done, but for now i need to alter the top a little more and find a 6" light for it.

ElGuappo
01-04-2009, 05:35 AM
This requires what comes in the box of a Aquaclear HOB 70 filter, a tube of crazy glue (gel prefferably), and if desired an Impeller from a smaller AQ unit. If a smaller impeller is not readilly available you might be able to break a pin off the current one. i have not tried this so i am not sure if it works. This is to slow the flow to less than the plate that adjusts the flow allows. Also if you desire you may want a small piece of glass.

Ok so the first pic here is mostly for refference to what the finished product looks like from the side with a small amount of rubble and Cheato. notice the depth of the sandbed. also notice there is an extra quarter inch where you think it ends it bottle necks a bit and drops 1/4".

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/ElGuappo78/AquaClear70RefugeSide1.jpg

Leave the plate that allows for variable speed flow where it is. Intake plate? This is where the u Pipe section rests inside the filter.

The first thing i did was take the basket that holds the filter material, and ripped it by hand at the fold which seperates the walls from the floor. Next i selected one side (either will do). i then shave the bottom edges to provide room for the tappered bottom of the unit allowing it to now touch the bottom of the unit itself. while doing this i noticed a narrow wall on which the basket sat. i then made a small narrow cut out to allow for the wall section of the basket to now touch the bottom while tight against the bottle neck that seperates the bulk of the volume from the intake portion. make this cut out on the bottom fit as tight as posible so it can hold tightish (you will find out later why it needs to be snug**). As per the pic below you willl notice a grate in the middle section of the wall. I took the second wall piece and cut out the grate section (the full width of the wall, except for shavings at the edge wich allow this to lay flat and snug). after this i took the first wall piece (the one you have modified the edges on) and under the grate is a small cutout to hold tight on the before mentioned intake plate. i widened the cut out to the same size as the grate, and the made it about a half inch taller. I then took the piece of grate i had cut out of wall #2 and glued over the hole i had just made larger. This piece is now finished. (note: This final piece has not been modified in hight or width aside from the shavings to accomidate the taper at the bottom.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/ElGuappo78/AquaClear70RefugeTop1.jpg

Next i took the Floor/bottom section of the basket and glued it to the wall where the water exits the filter. i initially did this to keep the cheato from falling into the aquarium, however after the finished product was done i noticed cheato was not boyant enough to float over the waterfall. however i think it will be good for keeping single strands form leaving the ref. this piece was glued up as high as the wall goes, still allowing the lid to fit tight. i did this with the thought i may want a small snail in there. notice in the next pic it is glued on the right side on the inside of the filter (glue is not noticable). this runs the lenth of the grate. Before you glue this in notice the outside edges of the grate that are to be glued have small ridges at the edge which will not allow this to glue flat and tight. shave these off. do not take too much off (this relates to the previous matter to be cleared up later**). Notice in the second pic down the grate is glued on the outside of the filter in plin site from the front view. i also pit a dob of glue on the outside in the center of the grate just to keep it tight to the wall. the reason for glueing this on the outside on the left side is simple and will clear up the 2 starred items. the wall does not get glued in. rather it is held in place by the grate blocking the waterfall and the grove in the bottom holding tight to the wall that the basket sat on.

Ok you are now finshed!!!!!! wasnt that easy??

If you find the lid does not allow enough light thru you can cut out the section that covers the bulk of the vloume allowing 1/4 at all edges to keep it tight fitting and room to adhear a piece of glass.

ANY QUESTIONS OR SOMETHING I HAVE MISSED JUST ADD A POST AND I WILL UPDATE THIS ONE.

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/ElGuappo78/AquaClear70RefugeTop2.jpg
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq145/ElGuappo78/AquaClear70RefugeFront2.jpg

Keri
01-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Is the smaller impeller to reduce flow?

ElGuappo
01-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Is the smaller impeller to reduce flow?

Yes i thought i had that in there sorry. all the motors form ac 30 - 70 are the same with different impellers.

Keri
01-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Ah, cool

Kona
01-09-2009, 04:45 AM
what size of tank you got that mounted on?
I was thinking of putting one on my 50g, but was wondering if that would be enough for filtration?
It would mostly be used for a fragging tank with 20lbs of LR.