PDA

View Full Version : Wow

Edmonton Eskimo
01-03-2009, 07:09 PM
So, I come home from getting some groceries and my wife is panicking telling me my eel is on the floor. I drop the food and run downstairs to find my snowflake on the carpet. I thought maybe it had just happened but when I went to pick it up it was quite stiff and pretty dry. Saddened, but for some reason I decide to put him back in the tank just hoping some kind of miracle could occur. First, I want to let everyone know how bad he was. Covered in carpet whatnots(hair, lint, some small pieces of rock that were on the floor,etc) and I mean he was STIFF and just wet enough to be sticky. I was doing some maintenance and lost track of time but I bet it was a good 45 minutes after I put him back in the tank and there he is BREATHING!!!!! I cannot believe that he has survived!!!!!! He is now panting and probably wondering what the hell he just did. I know he's not out of the woods yet but I am in shock. I have had this eel for about three years and never had a problem with him until now. The other thing is that the way my canopy is,he would have had to jump a good foot out of the water to clear it. I am as chef Ramsay puts it "gobsmacked"!!!!

Delphinus
01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Glad it (maybe) has worked out. I just lost my eel this week to the same thing, but he was totally fossilized when I found him. Looked like something you'd buy at that boutique outside T&T. I'm incredibly bummed about it but I hope your story has a happier ending.

fiorano
01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
wow thats crazy. i hope hes ok

Edmonton Eskimo
01-03-2009, 07:56 PM
He's moving around a bit now. I also have a dwarf golden and that was the one that I thought had jumped but It wasn't, thank god! I had a snowflake jump a few years ago and he was a fossil when I found him. I am going to check on him now.

Delphinus
01-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Good luck.

Mine was a golden dwarf. :cry: Man I can't believe how much it sucks that he's gone. :(

Pan
01-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Good luck.

Mine was a golden dwarf. :cry: Man I can't believe how much it sucks that he's gone. :(
Where did you get the little guy tony?

Delphinus
01-03-2009, 09:04 PM
A friend of mine who works at Petland ordered it for me from one of their wholesalers as a favour, came in piggybacked onto one of their regular shipments. (Seems anytime I've asked any LFS for something specific via regular channels, it's been the surest way to never see it come in. :neutral:)

Golds has brought in a couple though in the last year. Sometimes they are just there in the store.

Flash
01-03-2009, 11:57 PM
any update???

fishoholic
01-04-2009, 12:44 AM
I hope he pulls through for you.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-04-2009, 04:37 AM
he has shed his slime coat and is slowly doing better. He did not eat at dinner time but I didn't really expect him to. I think if he makes it through the night he'll be ok(fingers crossed). I still can't believe he survived.

Flash
01-04-2009, 04:42 AM
fingers crossed with you

Keri
01-04-2009, 04:43 AM
I came downstairs last week to my LMB all dry and crispy and covered in lint...tossed him back in, his fins have healed and he's back to his old self... fish are strange! I have hope for your eel :)

Edmonton Eskimo
01-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Unfortunately I found him dead this morning. I was really hopeful that he would pull through but he did not. Thanks for your support and rip little buddy.

RSM2008
01-04-2009, 04:58 PM
I had the same thing happen with a PJ Cardinal. I thought he was totally dry and a gonner... but he survived and is still playing with his chums today. :biggrin:

Delphinus
01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Aw man, I'm really sorry to hear he didn't make it. :cry:

Edmonton Eskimo
01-04-2009, 06:08 PM
I really thought he had a chance:(

fishoholic
01-04-2009, 06:09 PM
Sorry to hear he didn't make it :sad:

Trigger Man
01-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the loss, I really thought he would pull through.

Edmonton Eskimo
01-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks again for everyone's kind words:) I wonder what was the demise of him. I mean he survived 8-10 hours out of the tank only to die when he seemed to be recovering. I try and compare it to humans but we can only survive without oxygen for minutes not hours. They must be able to go into some kind of shut down mode in order to survive that kind of ordeal.