PDA

View Full Version : DSB or CC Substrate?

Mugster
03-16-2002, 01:59 PM
G'day everyone, I have a question regarding using a DSB or fine CC substrate. After much reading I'm trying to decide if I should replace my CC substrate with a DSB.

My tank is a 180 with approx. 150 lbs of LR and a 3"-4" deep substrate consisting of fine CC. Lighting is 2 Iwasaki 250W 6500k and 1 Iwasaki 400w 6500k and 2 160w VHO URI powered by an Icecap. I dose Strontium, Magnesium, and Iodine. A 55 gal sump (with a trickle filter which will be slowly removed over the next while), a DAS protien skimmer and the start of a refugium (some macro floating freely, no DSB) rounds out the setup.

Is there a definite advantage to using a DSB? As for removing the CC substrate, what is the best way of doing it? I was thinking of syphoning out the CC slowly, approx. a 12" section at a time per week, starting at one end of the tank and moving across. As each section is cleared then replace with sand until the other end of the tank is reached. Is this a good idea or should I just remove it all at once and replace with sand?

Also, is anyone interested in purchasing approx. 150 lbs of fine CC if I do indeed go with the DSB?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Kev

AJ_77
03-16-2002, 07:24 PM
I'm not sure that I would consider a DSB in my 33g sump/refugium adequate for my 90g tank as well. The DSB in the sump is probably adequate for the sump... ;)

Just my opinion. For a more weighty opinion, check out http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

He has more to say, fer sher.

AJ

[ 16 March 2002, 15:25: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Bryan
03-17-2002, 04:17 AM
Don't know if this will help you but in my situation I was setting up a new 125 gallon. I decided against using a DSB in the tank. Instead I used a DSB sand in my 33 gallon refugium and used a 3/4" layer of fine crushed coral in the main tank. So far everything is working well.

I like the look of the fine crushed coral better, plus I get the benefit of a DSB hidden away in my refugium.