PDA

View Full Version : chalk bass question

cwickham
01-03-2009, 07:34 AM
hey everyone,

i had 2 chalk bass and one of them jumped out after i did something in my sump, i feel bad cause i should have known to not do anything while all the fish are sleeping.

I noticed the lone chalk bass hides allot now, and i have read mixed things about adding another chalk bass to my tank. i have only had this one for mabye 2 months, probably a bit less.

Does anyone think it will be ok to add another, i really liked having two. would it mabye even be better to add 2 more?

thanks for the advise,
craig

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-03-2009, 07:50 AM
I would add a few more at once. I had three a few years back and then added another three many months later. Unfortunately most of them ended up jumping over time. I would make sure you have a tight fitting canopy or at least some kind of mesh top. The only thing about a mesh top is that they are so small and can usually get through.

I never had problems with them fighting when adding new ones. Never heard of problems either. I think they are quite peaceful. Too bad they are such jumpers!

cwickham
01-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I would add a few more at once. I had three a few years back and then added another three many months later. Unfortunately most of them ended up jumping over time. I would make sure you have a tight fitting canopy or at least some kind of mesh top. The only thing about a mesh top is that they are so small and can usually get through.

I never had problems with them fighting when adding new ones. Never heard of problems either. I think they are quite peaceful. Too bad they are such jumpers!

thanks, that makes me feel better, they are such nice fish, it would be sad to just have one

Whatigot
01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
I have a little school of 5, all added simultaneously about 7 months ago and no jumpers yet.
I also have very little else in my tank, so no reason for them to stress, but I find that the more places to hide like caves and overhangs and stuff, the happier they are.

I added another chalk bass, tinier by far than any of the others because I felt sorry for him all alone at aquatic addictions who has them for 14.99 ( I paid 22.45 each for mine at JL) so on total impulse i brought her home...
That one didn't make it, no idea if it jumped or was simply not accepted into the community by the established group but it didn't last 48 hours (it was slightly emaciated and obviously stressed when I bought it)...

Best bet would be to rescape a bit to confuse the chalkie in your tank into thinking its in a new tank and on equal footing (finning?) with the new one(s) you add at the time of the rescape.