PDA

View Full Version : Salt

reefy
01-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi everyone, I am planning to change my salt, what is the best salt out there?
I was using Seachem but I realized that my Ca is too high so I changed it into Instant Ocean well actually 50/50 but recently I checked my Ca now its damn low 350-370 and I have been adding turbo calcium everyday/spoon but wont go up at all, therefore I am thinking that my magnesium is very low(will get some buffer/test kit today)

thanks in advance!!!

banditpowdercoat
01-03-2009, 12:04 AM
IO is low on Ca. I'm trying Reef Crystals at the moment. Just switched tho, so cant saw what way it will go

Trigger Man
01-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Two really good salts are Reefers best Salt (for me the Cal was a little low), and DD Aquariums H2 Ocean Pro Salt (I have been using this one and it has been great). Both of these salts are good on Mag. You can also use a product like Tailored Aquatics Reef mag to raise your Mag levels.

fishytime
01-03-2009, 12:18 AM
Ive been using RB and been really happy with it. (switched from seachem).

JDigital
01-03-2009, 12:34 AM
I was using Aquamedic for awhile and but will be switching to RBS once my tanks start to fill up.

reefy
01-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I was using Aquamedic for awhile and but will be switching to RBS once my tanks start to fill up.

sorry what does RB and RBS stand for?

tang daddy
01-03-2009, 07:14 PM
^reefers best salt.....

personally I like IO and if the calcium is low why don't you use calcium chloride mixed with top off water, You can aquire calcium chloride from any pool or spa place and it's fairly cheap I will be buying a 50lb bag soon so if you want some pm me.

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I love the Tropic Marin Pro salt but am going to have to change soon as J&L is not carrying it anymore :( I have no idea what to yet. I just got some of the Deltec salt (which is natural sea salt) but I hate how dirty it is. Took forever to mix. I didn't test its Calcium though.

fiorano
01-03-2009, 07:43 PM
ive been using h2ocean and i quite like it i just switched from seachem to this about 2 months ago

Psyire
01-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Red Sea Coral Pro for me. I've used quite a few different kinds and I find my tank inhabitants respond the best when this salt is used. (not to mention the numbers it makes are decent)

Red Deer Reptiles
01-03-2009, 11:57 PM
marine environment scores 100% bio sea scores 90% on test charts concerning best salt to use . we use it.never use anything else.....:biggrin:

hillbillyreefer
01-04-2009, 02:42 AM
marine environment scores 100% bio sea scores 90% on test charts concerning best salt to use . we use it.never use anything else.....:biggrin:

I assume Marine Environment and Bio Sea are brands of salt. Can we have links to these tests and the results of them, please?

Red Deer Reptiles
01-04-2009, 02:48 AM
thats right thats there brand names. (info@aquacraft.net) hope this helps dan.:biggrin:

fdiddy
01-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Well, I'm resurrecting an old salt discussion here, but I've been having problems with IO salt. I just bought a 150g bucket because they were on sale, but it seems there is quite a lot of stuff in there that won't dissolve for me. I've even tried raising the temp to 90 to try to get more to dissolve... Any thoughts? FYI I wasn't happy with my old salt either.

DanG
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Here's the thread on RC that has measurements from all the major salt manufacturers.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1287118&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Keep in mind, while they shoot for specific numbers, you will find differences within the same brand if they're from a different batch.

That being said, I switched from IO to Seachem Reef Salt because I was tired of having to buffer my IO all the time.