PDA

View Full Version : Tangs and Rabbitfish & the things they do

my2rotties
01-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I have noticed this for over a year since I started out. While the tangs don't fight with the rabbitfish, I always notice when the RF put their spikes up, the tangs come and chew on them. I don't really see any fighting, but the tangs always grab the top spikes and tip the RF.

It happened with my purple tang and foxface for the year before the foxface sadly died. Now I have my big RF and my Naso comes and does the exact same thing. I never see tail swiping from the tang so I don't get overly concerned since it always happens. However, what does it mean? Is it bad? The RF is so mellow and gentle and I don't want her being picked on. I would give her to someone on Canreef if this was the case. I don't want this sweet fish being bullied or harassed in any sort of way.

Anyone have any insight on this activity?

Skimmerking
01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Tangs ang Rabbit fish will always fight. All my Rb that i have had to defend from the tangs due that the RB looks like the tangs and so the tangs being the dumb ones will always go wafter the RB

my2rotties
01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
When I see the tangs being dummies to each other they chase and back into each other. I never see it with my rabbitfish. They just chew on the upper spikes and tip the fish a little bit. It always ends at that, and its over...

I was hoping it was just stupid, but if its fighting I should put my rabbitfish in a better home. She doesn't need to deal with that all the time. I would rather place the tangs in a home before the rabbitfish honestly, but the tangs are my hubby's prized fish. He would have 1000g full of them if he could.

Alberta-newb
01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting behavior. I've never seen any aggresion between my Scopas and rabbit except on the first day I introduced the rabbit. My Scopas would try to back into it like it was trying to say "hey this is my tank and if you don't behave I'll use my scalpels on you" (She does this to every new addition as she was the first one in the tank). I've never seen her spines extended and after a day or two she stops

I don't know a thing about fish behavior but I'm guessing it's a way to show dominance? In my opinion, if there is no real damage being done and the fish aren't getting stressed I wouldn't worry about it myself, just keep an eye on it that it doesn't escalate into a more serious problem.

fishoholic
01-02-2009, 11:33 PM
In my opinion, if there is no real damage being done and the fish aren't getting stressed I wouldn't worry about it myself, just keep an eye on it that it doesn't escalate into a more serious problem.

+1

As long as there is no damage being done and they aren't constantly chasing and attacking eachother I wouldn't worry about. If the rabbitfish is stressed out by the tang she will turn multi-colours and will hide a lot, if your RF isn't behaving that way you should be fine.

I've kept tangs and rabbitfish together and they never fought with eachother. I've never noticed them do what you're describing however, IMO, it almost sounds like the tang is trying to clean the rabbitfish.

fishytime
01-03-2009, 01:01 AM
it almost sounds like the tang is trying to clean the rabbitfish.

Right on the one spot it shouldnt be messing with. A customer at the shop recently showed me photos of his atlantic blue tang that lost a fight with a rabbit fish. Several punctures. Not a pretty sight.

fishoholic
01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Right on the one spot it shouldnt be messing with. A customer at the shop recently showed me photos of his atlantic blue tang that lost a fight with a rabbit fish. Several punctures. Not a pretty sight.

Well yes of course, but it's really bizarre that the naso is "chewing on it" while seemingly not doing any damage to it. At least it sounds like there isn't any damage being done, so I'm not sure how else to explain why a tang would chew on a rabbitfish's spikes.

my2rotties
01-03-2009, 02:29 AM
Before Ed my foxface died, I noticed a couple of wounds on his side, and my purple tang had his eye punctured. This was when my 55g crashed and I thought it was injuries due to struggling in spiking ammonia. Ed died a few days later when he jumped out of the tank. The tang healed up but I always suspected some sort of fight happened. I never really saw to know what transpired but I do suspect they had a pretty nasty fight. Perhaps Ed got sick of the tang and it ended badly.

Now that my naso tang is eating and regaining her health I am noticing that she is trying assert herself with the fish her size. The rabbitfish she hung so close with, is now being chewed on. Of course the rabbitfish is mellow and does nothing but keep her spikes up. Since the rabbitfish does nothing, perhaps it will never go any father. Then again when she has enough of the Naso, who's to say this won't break out in a serious fight?

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-03-2009, 02:35 AM
I have had quite a few tangs with my rabbitfish and never ever seen them fight. Right now I have three tangs with my rabbitfish and never see anything like this. They all just get along fine.

I agree that if there is no damage its probably fine. I would be more concerned about the tang though being near the spikes.

untamed
01-03-2009, 05:13 AM
I've not seen anything like this either. My rabbitfish is a Foxface, and I have multiple Nasos and Acanthurus tangs. I wouldn't say that everyone gets along, but they don't bother the Foxface at all.

my2rotties
01-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Strange indeed. I have had it happen to different kinds of rabbitfish with two different kinds of tangs. I thought it might be common.

I've not seen anything like this either. My rabbitfish is a Foxface, and I have multiple Nasos and Acanthurus tangs. I wouldn't say that everyone gets along, but they don't bother the Foxface at all.

PoonTang
01-05-2009, 04:08 AM
I just added a Foxface to my tank and the only one to take any notice was the Yellow Tang. She has tried to slice the FF a few times and was met with a bunch of spines. So far no damage to either one of them as they are not very aggressively going after each other, more like a half hearted posturing display. Leaving the tank dark all afternoon, hope it all works out.

Lance
01-05-2009, 04:38 AM
I just added a Foxface to my tank and the only one to take any notice was the Yellow Tang. She has tried to slice the FF a few times and was met with a bunch of spines. So far no damage to either one of them as they are not very aggressively going after each other, more like a half hearted posturing display. Leaving the tank dark all afternoon, hope it all works out.

My FF and SF Tang did the same thing; sparred like that for a few months. Now they're best buds. Follow each other around like a couple of puppies.

MikeP
01-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I have seen this behavior in my tank. My little Sohal will 'nip' at the spikes of my Foxface. It only happens once in a while and it doesn't appear that they are really fighting. I haven't noticed any damage either.