PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Yellow Toadstool in Trouble

Beverly
05-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Over the weekend, I did an emergency rearrangement of the rock in my 42 gal hex reef and had my corals in buckets of tankwater while doing so. All the corals suffered a little from bucket treatment, but have all recovered except the toadstool. And it was one of my most beautiful animals :frown:

Since being back in the tank, the toadstool has begun to droop more and more each day instead of standing tall and opening. I noticed today at the edges that there was some either dead stuff, or something growing on it. I gently turkey basted off the stuff, but there is no improvement.

It also seems to be losing its footing on the rock it's attached to and I think that's why it's drooping so much.

What can I do to save this coral? Can I cut it near the base and reattach it, or will that damage it even more?

I give this coral another 2-3 days at the most before it's completely gone. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

TIA.

Canadian Man
05-15-2003, 10:09 PM
Increase the circulation around the coral and see what happens. I have this similar thing happen to my huge finger leather and it came back beautifully.

Beverly
05-15-2003, 10:58 PM
Increase the circulation around the coral and see what happens. I have this similar thing happen to my huge finger leather and it came back beautifully.

Jonathan,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I went to move the toadstool, and it completely fell off the rock :frown: When examining the coral, I noticed that part of the stalk looked worn away, perhaps by being rubbed on the rock, or maybe by a parasite?

After a bit of scrambling, I managed to find an elastic to reattach it to a different place on the same rock, placing the worn away side to the rock. Part of the base is still attached to the rock, so if the main toadstool doesn't make it, perhaps something from the remaining base will regrow.

I am limited to places in the small reef to put it, but did move it to a slightly higher flow area. Also adjusted the powerhead a bit to hopefully provide enough water movement to help re-establish this beloved coral.

Thanks again for your reply, and keep your fingers crossed :neutral:

Bob I
05-16-2003, 01:00 AM
If you find that the rubber band does not work, here is an almost guaranteed way to get a recalcitrant softie to attach. Use a small tupperware type container that is as deep as it is around. Put the stalk of the Toadstool in that, and surround it with rubble. Put the whole lot on the bottom in a low flow area. The coral will attach to a piece of the rubble in a short time. I attached a couple of really troublesome Colt frags that way. :cool:

Beverly
05-16-2003, 03:06 AM
Use a small tupperware type container that is as deep as it is around. Put the stalk of the Toadstool in that, and surround it with rubble. Put the whole lot on the bottom in a low flow area. The coral will attach to a piece of the rubble in a short time.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep a close eye on the toadstool to make sure it's attaching. If it doesn't attach within a reasonable period of time, or if it starts to decline, I'll use your suggestion.

Thanks, again.

Beverly
05-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Use a small tupperware type container that is as deep as it is around. Put the stalk of the Toadstool in that, and surround it with rubble. Put the whole lot on the bottom in a low flow area.

Bob,

Did the tupperware container thing for the toadstook in my lower flow 7 gal and the underside of toadstool's head attached nicely to a large piece of rubble. Did a massive rearrangement of the 42 gal the other day and the toadstool was placed in it's old location. It's been opening well under the 42's halide as well as with the stronger water flow, and it is beautiful :cool:

Thanks again for the suggestion :smile:

Bob I
05-16-2003, 05:12 PM
I am assuming your Toadstool is the same as mine (Sarcophyton). Have a look at my pictures site to confirm. (just click on the WWW below my post). If so, it is not unusual for them to act goofy for days. I have gone through that. One consolation is that they will multiply from a small piece, so your left over piece should grow, and the remainder can be cut up to form new toadstools. At least that is what a guy I have corresponded with said. :cool:

Beverly
05-16-2003, 05:18 PM
I am assuming your Toadstool is the same as mine (Sarcophyton). Have a look at my pictures site to confirm.

I looked at your 20 gal nano photo. In the middle near the bottom is what I believe is your toadstool. Ours looks like that, or looked like that.

Not sure I want to do any cutting at the moment. Will give it a few days in the container with rubble to see how it does.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob I
05-17-2003, 01:23 AM
I am assuming your Toadstool is the same as mine (Sarcophyton). Have a look at my pictures site to confirm.

I looked at your 20 gal nano photo. In the middle near the bottom is what I believe is your toadstool. Ours looks like that, or looked like that.

Not sure I want to do any cutting at the moment. Will give it a few days in the container with rubble to see how it does.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not quite. My Toadstool is in the bottom row of my 50 gallon reef pictures. The one in the 20 is one I got from Alan. He calls it a Finger Leather. That is the problem with these common names. Everything and anything is called Leather. Looking at Sprung's book, I would be inclined to agree with you, and call it Toadstool too. The shape is usually highly variable. Anyway it is growing very fast, so real estate will soon be a problem. :rolleyes: