PDA

View Full Version : Tank is Crashing - Pest Algae went sexual

FBNitro
12-31-2008, 02:56 AM
I had a Pest Algae go sexual last night or this morning, I noticed the issue around 11am. The water was milky, very milky. Made me think of the water when you rinse a glass after drinking milk.

Anyhow, some background: The tank is 10 gallons, I've got about 18# of LR in it, it's been up for a year, I've got an AC110 that I've turned into a fuge. I've never lost a fish, but I've had a couple corals RTN. I have 2 gobies and a lawnmower blenny. I had a Skunk Cleaner shrimp (see below).

So this bad event happened, I already did a 30% water change (most I could do at the time). I've tossed in some carbon in an effort to clear up the water. So far, corals all look bad, the Hammer seems to be normalizing, my candy cane looks like it might not make it. My Skunk Cleaner shrimp died an hour ago. :( (first non-coral frag/snail I've ever lost)

What else do you guys suggest I do? I've got another couple gallons of salt water made up (made it today). Should I change it tonight, or wait until tomorrow?

Delphinus
12-31-2008, 03:30 AM
Run some carbon, do a couple water changes. .. not much else you can do I'm afraid. Usually it just clears up in a day or two .. I've never had livestock losses though, sorry to hear about yours. Maybe smaller tanks can't weather the impact as well. Definitely try to pull that stuff if you can so it can't happen again down the road. Good luck.

FBNitro
12-31-2008, 03:46 AM
Well it's good to know that I seem to have done the right thing. I'll hold off that second water change until tomorrow AM. Just hoping my fish and corals make it.

Black Phantom
12-31-2008, 03:41 PM
If your running a skimmer, crank it up. This will help. Also, you might be getting an ammonia spike because of the die off. Pick up some Ammo-lock to help keep it in check. It works really fast.

FBNitro
12-31-2008, 04:19 PM
No skimmer on my little tank, but it does look better this morning. I'll do another 20% water change in a bit. The corals aren't giving off slime anymore and the water is clearer. Plus the tank doesn't smell bad anymore, so I think that's a good sign.