PDA

View Full Version : Hairy Algae????

busymum
12-30-2008, 05:26 AM
We just started our first reef tank, that we bought used its a 92g bowfront. We cleaned it with baking soda and water, rinsed and vaccumed it out. Used neutralized tap water with reef salt, rinsed the live sand that came with the tank in fresh saltwater. We also got with the tank about 100lbs of live rock that sat fully submersed in the previous owners tank water for about a week and a half in total darkness in 5gal buckets. We didn't rinse the live rock that had sat in buckets. We just placed in our tank when the salinity had reached 1.024. The water that held the rocks seemed cool in temp, and we noticed when putting the rocks in the tank that one of the rocks had a golf ball sized clump of green mossy grass that we thought was a bonus (yeah right!!!) :redface:

Because we are newbies we kept the rocks and sand and have now placed them all in the tank with our newly salted water about 4 days now. After doing some research we realized our mistake and tried to rip out as much of that little furball as we could. :twised:
It was suggested to us that we totally black out the tank (which we have done with black 6ml poly) and shut out all lights. We have a canister filter, 2 power heads and a protien skimmer running for now. It was suggested that we keep it like this anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. Are we on the right track or should we just start over again? How will know this has worked? Any help will be greatfully appreciated.

Aquattro
12-30-2008, 05:35 AM
If all the stuff came out of an existing tank, you've just disturbed the nutrients. What I would do is add some turbo snails, keep your skimmer clean (you have a good skimer, right?) and some larger frequent water changes. I'd also use RO (purified) water over treated tap water. Never sure what comes out of your tap.
Keep some carbon running, replace every few weeks. Lots of areation to keep pH up, O2 high, and you should see some improvement. Covering your tank with 6l poly makes it hard to view, which is likely why you got the tank in the first place! :)
It's normal to get this, don't worry a lot about it. Follow the above, you should be good in 3 -6 weeks.

busymum
12-30-2008, 05:52 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, apparently this is only the tip of the iceberg as far as learning goes. I will be heading out tomorrow to pick up some snails.:lol:

Aquattro
12-30-2008, 05:57 AM
apparently this is only the tip of the iceberg as far as learning goes. :lol:

Yup, just the tip...:) Don't worry, you'll love it!

Black Phantom
12-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Just a quick word of advice. Before you run out and spend money on anything thats going to go in your tank, check your parameters. Chances are you are still going through a cycle and the ammonia and nitrate levels will be high. Putting anything in at this point will just kill it (snails). This hobby is all about patience.
Just my two cents worth:biggrin:

busymum
12-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks for your advice, we will be sure to have our water tested first.