PDA

View Full Version : Live Sand from saltwaterconnection ?

beaker020
05-15-2003, 01:15 AM
Just wanted peoples opinions on the Live sand from saltwaterconnection.com I understand it is cultured in his live rock curing tanks. How much life is visible in it? I've seen so-called live sand at big als and it just looked like regular old sand. What percentage are people using to seed their regular sand bed?

Lance

Bob I
05-15-2003, 03:08 AM
I got some once, and it looked like ordinary sand to me.

Tau2301
05-15-2003, 04:16 AM
I bought 5lbs about a year and a half ago - used it to seed my new tank at the time.

I was very please with the content of the sand, snails, worms, pods, etc.

Michael
05-15-2003, 11:46 AM
I've also been thinking about getting the live sand from SWC. Jason makes it sound very good. So I am also curious as to whether anyone has found this sand to be crawling with good animals, and if it helped their sandbed.

Michael

rgardiner
05-20-2003, 05:49 PM
I got a few pounds about a year ago, and it was full of pods, some spaghetti worms etc. I'm also pretty sure that's how the flatworms currently plaguing my tank got introduced. I believe his live sand comes from the holding tanks where his fresh live rock shipments are unloaded, so the sand will indeed be full of life, but not neccesarily life that you will want in your tank.

Aquattro
05-20-2003, 08:07 PM
Roy, when we spoke the other day, I thought you mentioned that you got a detrivore kit from Inland Aquatics, and suspected that the flatworms came from there :question:
Also, I have to ask that unless you KNOW you got anything from anybody, that you don't lay blame and/or include a disclaimer that the opinion is just that. Thanks! :smile:

rgardiner
05-21-2003, 02:33 AM
No, I didn't say from Inland Aquatics, which I believe is a US company, but SaltWaterConnection. The post asked for opinions on the live sand, which I can offer something on since I have purchased it, and so I gave my opinion.

Aquattro
05-21-2003, 02:52 AM
My mistake Roy. I though tyou said IA in the US. And your opinion is appreciated. My only concern is pointing the flatworm finger at somebody based on "pretty sure". I hope you understand why I say this.

rgardiner
05-21-2003, 03:20 AM
I do understand and your concern, and I'm sorry it came across that I was blaming Jason, because I don't. I was trying to indicate that it is risky to put live sand into your tank, because by definition it is full of organisms, some of which may be undesireable. Obviously flatworms are a growing problem in the hobby, they clearly come from dealers tanks (which I realise is something they can't prevent or control), and of all the things to throw into a tank maybe adding live sand should be given careful consideration. I know that you didn't just add the material that I gave you the other day, but carefully dissected out only what you wanted. Jason makes it perfectly clear on his website the provenance of his live sand, and it is entirely the responsibility of the buyer if they decide to buy it and introduce it to their system.

Aquattro
05-21-2003, 03:33 AM
Roy, I understand the direction of the post and I didn't think you were "accusing" Jayson. However, it may have been construed as such by other members and I just wanted to make sure their was no misunderstanding. I whole-heartedly agree with your sentiments about recklessly dumping sand in a tank. And you're right, I dissected that pile for an hour, and it was well worth it. I hope you got my email of thanks!!

rgardiner
05-21-2003, 03:42 AM
Yes Brad I got your email and I'm glad (and impressed) that so many critters were in that little bit of stuff!

rgardiner
05-21-2003, 04:12 AM
I'd also like to add that SWC also offers sandbed critters sold individually such as spaghetti worms, bristleworms and mini-brittlestars, that I have also purchased from them and have been very happy about (all have reproduced prolifically), and beaker020 could consider going that route instead of the live sand.