PDA

View Full Version : Randi's Bedroom Tank

Rbacchiega
12-30-2008, 12:10 AM
dun dun dun

I realize that the 90 is pretty much empty..but I never was one for sticking with one project right to the end...so having said that, I introduce the plans for my (our) bedroom tank!

Initially I was going to go with a 75...but that's a little big for my liking in the bedroom. With a tank that size and the other half's tv there'd be to much focus on tv and tank rather than....other things.

Anyways.

I still have to call the guys at Red Coral, but I'm thinking a 40 or 50 gallon tank, drilled for a herbie system and returns through the back. Through the overflows down into a 10 gallon fuge and from there into a 33 gallon sump.

The 10 gallon would need to be drilled on one side as well in order for the water to flow through the fuge into some plumbing and down into the sump where it will be returned back into the tank.

Stand will be step style to make this easier and utilize as much of the stand space as possible

fishytime
12-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi Im Randi. I will be your tour guide today here at seaworld.:mrgreen: Just give us a call a we can shoot you a quote on whatever you need.

Doug.

Rbacchiega
12-30-2008, 05:39 PM
More like small zoo Doug. Not including the future bedroom reef we've got 5 actual fishtanks (smallest is 10 gallons, largest is just under 400 gallons). 2 indoor ponds in the quanset, 1 which is an 18' diamter pool that runs 4 feet deep (houses the sharks *inster jaws music*) the other just over 2000 gallons which houses the "Monster" fish (Florida/spotted gars 20-23", motoro rays etc)

Then we've got 2 sulcata tortoises, a panther chameleon, 4 snakes, 5 geckos...and a dog

"Welcome to the zoo, admission is $5, which goes towards feeding all of our lovely animals"

Rbacchiega
12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
We're going rimless! I've been talking to Kevin and we've decided on a 36x18x18 Rimless 1/2" thickness glass.

Other half will be taking care of building the stand, will post pics when the time comes.

Dry Stock list:
Tank (36x18x18)
10 gallon fuge (will have deep sandbed and some sort of algae..not sure what type, but it's not too big of a deal)
33 gallon sump
Return Pump...I havn't decided what pump. The quite one I have in the 90 isn't all that quite, so I might have to pick another brand OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS
Live Rock. I'll be doing the pvc structure for the first time in any of my tanks so this should be interesting.
I'll be going with a T5 unit...36 inches probably 4 bulbs.

Stocking:
NO CLUE

My Fancy Schmancy Drawings showing the plans for the 10 gallon Fuge and 33 sump:

Le Fuge:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/sump.jpg

Le Sump:
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/sump1.jpg

Rbacchiega
01-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Every other reef tank I have shouldn't be doing as well as it is according to things I've read. I don't run any sort of reactors, I very rarely dose and I do maintenance when I remember.

I kind of want this one to be different. I might just go all out on this tank. I still have to talk to Kevin and Doug about the tank and stand, but that's pretty much set. I was thinking of going with an ehiem return pump, but might just stick with the quietone, find a way to keep it off the bottom of the tank to help with the noise. I figure a 4000 will do the trick as this will be only LPS.

I'm even considering buying reactors. There won't be a need for an auto top off (unless I need to hook one up for when we go away) because it's in our room...we're there every night LOL.

Any suggestions on the "gotta have" additions for a tank?

JDigital
01-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Never hurts to run a Phosban/Carbon reactor... Red Coral has some complete packages (reactor, Phosphate media, pump, hose) for a great price..

Rbacchiega
01-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I'm currently in Ontario for buisness (snooze fest really) but will be back in on Saturday and am picking up the tank then...as well as some corals to add to the naked 90.

I cracked the 33 I was going to use for a sump, so will have to talk to the guys at RC and get one built, which might work out better and give me more room in the stand underneath to house everything. I'll be buying a phosban when the time comes.

The idea is to have this tank as clean looking as possible. Shouldn't be any extra chords or anything like that. With a large enough return pump and with the tank being drilled for two returns at the back, I don't imagine I'll need too many (if any) powerheads in the tank, considering this will only be LPS (well, maybe some mushrooms etc, but hell, they'll grow in anything almost)

woooo!

lorenz0
01-19-2009, 11:35 PM
Tank looks great. got a good kick out of it when i walked into red coral today

Rbacchiega
01-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Yeah, Kevin said there were quite a few interested people...must be one of the sexiest tanks out there...I havn't even seen it yet LOL

Pan
01-20-2009, 01:43 AM
I saw it delivered...i think....i likey

lorenz0
01-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Yeah, Kevin said there were quite a few interested people...must be one of the sexiest tanks out there...I havn't even seen it yet LOL

its actually the original design i had for my tank. basically a mini version of mine minus the eurobracing

Rbacchiega
01-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Picked up tank and Vertex skimmer over the weekend...Now waiting for stand and sump, no rush though..still very exciting.

AND the tank turned out better than I would have thought...very VERY sexay

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Picked up tank and Vertex skimmer over the weekend...Now waiting for stand and sump, no rush though..still very exciting.

AND the tank turned out better than I would have thought...very VERY sexay

So...how do you expect to tell us this and not post pictures?

I bet your going to tell us your camera was stolen :rolleyes:

Too soon?

Rbacchiega
01-29-2009, 11:07 PM
not too soon...it's funny I'll admit it.

Sarcasm and humour help take away the fact that I've got to go spend quite a bit of money just to apease the masses. LOL

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-29-2009, 11:20 PM
not too soon...it's funny I'll admit it.

Sarcasm and humour help take away the fact that I've got to go spend quite a bit of money just to apease the masses. LOL

And you better start appeasing cause people here don't have the patients to wait too long for pictures :D All our patients are spend on our aquariums.

Skimmerking
01-30-2009, 01:07 AM
ya what he said lets go , less time surfing and more time building and spending your money on your tank to please us....................

JDigital
01-30-2009, 02:07 AM
And you better start appeasing cause people here don't have the patients to wait too long for pictures :D All our patients are spend on our aquariums.

Patience. :wink: What is this, a hospital forum??

GreenSpottedPuffer
01-30-2009, 04:21 AM
Patience. :wink: What is this, a hospital forum??

LOL...Yeah I can't spell :D

Rbacchiega
02-18-2009, 06:23 PM
Alright.

This is where the tank is going to go
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0113.jpg
The big white thing is actually a reptile cage. That will be moved when the time comes

And this is what I'm going to turn into my fishroom/fishcloset!
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/IMG_0115.jpg

Part of the bowing you see is because of the camera, but it does actually bow, so I'll be redoing the shelving unit. Plans are for a 2 10 gallon frag tanks, 3 5 gallon tanks used for balling method and then a sump with external return pump.

I still have to get all the details and measurments figured out, but I need to get the ball rolling on this one LOL

Rbacchiega
02-18-2009, 07:18 PM
System in a nutshell: 50 Gallon SPS tank. Possibly corals only

Basic system outline:

50 gallon display tank:
- 36X18X18 Rimless Glass Tank with Black Backing
- Centered Overflow drilled for Herbie System, Two returns drilled through the back
- Tank made by the good guys at Red Coral

Lighting:
- Tek 6 Bulb unit. Bulb combination still up in the air, but thinking (front to back)
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

Flow:
- Barracuda Return Pump, oversized in order to feed frag tank, fuge etc
- Tunze powerhead controlled via Profilux

Filtration / Chemistry:
- Vertex in 80 Skimmer
- 30 Gallon Sump
- Balling Method...if I can figure it out. Aqua-Digital is supposed to be walking me through it when the time comes LOL

Ventilation
- Aquarium is open top
- Fans will be placed strategically over certain tanks in the room

Other stuff:
- Profilux controller and dosing pump
- 2 10 gallon Frag Tanks - I have 10gallons by the truck load, so that's why I'm using them and not larger tanks.

I think that about covers it. This will be a looooong process. But I think it may just kick the ass of any other system I've built

Whatigot
02-18-2009, 09:35 PM
all this sexy tank talk and all i get are closet pictures?
sweet closet and all, but it'd be pretty cool to see some fish stuff...

Rbacchiega
02-18-2009, 09:53 PM
LOL
I have the tank and the skimmer. That's it right now. No stand even!
I'm working on cleaning out the closet and building supports for it. The original pieces of plywood are going to be removed because they are too warped from what I can tell. Also will be building 2x4 frames for the new shelves. It will be horribly HORRIBLY overbuilt, but I don't want to risk anything.

lorenz0
02-19-2009, 02:56 AM
where did you get the ati bulbs from???

Rbacchiega
02-19-2009, 03:43 AM
havn't yet. Don't know if I'll be able to get them or not, but I want something as close to them as possible

karazy
02-19-2009, 04:13 AM
Randi, talk to Colby at elite aquatics. he might be able to get them in for you (no promises)

Rbacchiega
02-19-2009, 04:21 AM
will do.

This is going to be an uber-long build process. With the economy crunch there's not many tattoos to do and the money I make from tattooing is what I use to fund the tanks. That might have to change though LOL

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Man...I wish I had a sump closet. Well I really want a sump ROOM but I would gladly settle for a closet with selves at this point. I am trying to cram soooo much crap under my stand right now.

lorenz0
02-19-2009, 04:45 AM
havn't yet. Don't know if I'll be able to get them or not, but I want something as close to them as possible

I just picked up some KZ bulbs... and i love them

but i am still curious about the whole ATI craze. i wouldn't mind seeing them in person

Rbacchiega
02-19-2009, 04:48 AM
Initially I was just going to get a longer stand built (4 feet long for a 3 foot tank) and then have a long, narrow sump - ie 55 gallon long. Then have frag tanks seperate.

It wasn't until I started reading a thread on RC where the guy's sump etc is accross his house (all plumbing run through a crawl space). His tank is in the living room and his sump etc is in the Garage. Anyways, I really like the idea of having a multi tank system and the thread got me thinking. I don't use the closet where I plan on storing everything, well, except for storing crap I never use. So it clicked.

GreenSpottedPuffer
02-19-2009, 04:52 AM
Initially I was just going to get a longer stand built (4 feet long for a 3 foot tank) and then have a long, narrow sump - ie 55 gallon long. Then have frag tanks seperate.

It wasn't until I started reading a thread on RC where the guy's sump etc is accross his house (all plumbing run through a crawl space). His tank is in the living room and his sump etc is in the Garage. Anyways, I really like the idea of having a multi tank system and the thread got me thinking. I don't use the closet where I plan on storing everything, well, except for storing crap I never use. So it clicked.

Yeah I like those kind of set ups too kind of. The problem for me is I live in a condo and can't run pipes through the walls or under the floor. Its all concrete anyways, so wouldn't be possible even if I was allowed. I bet the strada council would be quite confused if I even asked them for permission to try it :)

Rbacchiega
02-19-2009, 07:22 AM
first snag and I havn't even gotten started.

I'd imagine that 10 gallons are horribly difficult to drill because they are so thin. The solution? Suck it up. Keep the 10 gallons in storage and just get a 20 gallon (30 gallon?) breeder type tank drilled.

In simple terms...

Water goes through overflow in tank directly to the sump. From there it will go through a skimmer section, bubble breaker etc and head to the Baracuda. The return line from the baracuda will be T'd off with some heading straight back into the tank and the other heading up to the frag tank. The frag tank will then drain straight back down to the sump. Frag tank will be on the middle shelf.

As far as I can tell, and I may be completely wrong, but when balling you just need three tanks or jugs whatever but they don't need to be tied directly into the system (Correct me if I'm wrong?). These will be on the bottom shelf.

The top shelf will be used for holding all the dosing stuff. Keep it neat and accessable but out of the way.

fishytime
02-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Well this tank has certainly evolved into something a little more than the simple bedroom tank you billed it as.:mrgreen:

Rbacchiega
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
and how, Doug.

I'm downloading google sketch as we speak so that I can post a rough idea of what the closet is going to look like.

Delphinus
02-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Good call on the 10g's vs 20g's. I've never been able to successfully drill through that 1/8" glass (or whatever thickness it is). The 1/4" they use for 20g's though - no problems at all.

JDigital
02-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Good call on the 10g's vs 20g's. I've never been able to successfully drill through that 1/8" glass (or whatever thickness it is). The 1/4" they use for 20g's though - no problems at all.

Just takes steady hands.... :wink:

Rbacchiega
02-19-2009, 06:42 PM
My brain can't wrap itself around google sketch. (Don't laugh) So I used good ol' Paint.

Here's an ultra rough drawing of what the closet is going to look like.

Red line is from tank. Blue is to.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m21/casper_023/layout.jpg

First question:
Would it still be possible to run a herbie type setup on this? Or should I go durso now?
The easiest way I can figure is to join the two drain lines almost right away and have one large line running through the wall?

Stupid Randi tries to make Stupid nice tank and gets herself over her stupid head...grrrrrr

Delphinus
02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm just sayin' it's easier with the thicker glass is all. :) If you can do it then great, but the odds of a good drilling are better with 1/4" than it is with 1/8". 1/8" is pretty brittle stuff.

Just takes steady hands.... :wink:

Rbacchiega
04-08-2009, 04:11 PM
A few changes to the old plan...things are now actually starting to be ordered!

50 gallon display tank:
- 36X18X18 Rimless Glass Tank with Black Backing
- Centered Overflow drilled for Herbie System, Two returns drilled through the back
- Tank made by the good guys at Red Coral

Lighting
-Icecap Pendant, 14K 250 DE Bulb and Ballast (Will order through Premium Aquatics unless I can find local for comparable)

Flow:
- Barracuda Return Pump, oversized in order to feed frag tank, fuge etc
- Vortech Mp40

Filtration / Chemistry:
- Vertex in 180 Skimmer. I might also use the Vertex in 80 as well, assuming nobody buys it by the time I put in the order for the sump
- 4ft Long sump (aywhere between 55-75 gallons depending on how soon I get this going...My parents have a 55 gallon long (48x12x21) that they are waiting for the last couple fish to kick the bucket (goldfish, mean, I know, but they don't want anything to do with fish anymore)
- Zeovit from the start. 1.5L reactor
- Carbon reactor
- Possibly a calcium reactor too. There are mixed reviews on the zeovit forum as to if I should use one or not...I figure no for the time being and we'll see as we go. It's not an overly large system, so it shouldn't be too hard just manually dose if I need to
- There will only be about 20-30lbs of live rock in the display. The idea behind this is to promote coral growth by making them reach up and out for light.

Ventilation
- Aquarium is open top
- Fans will be placed strategically over certain tanks in the room

Other stuff:
- AquaController Jr. and system
- 2 10 gallon Frag Tanks - Due to space resrictions I'll have to do two 10 gallon frag tanks, each with a seperate drain down into the sump. Both will be light by 96W PCs (that's 96W over each tank) and if needed, Koralia 1s will supply extra movement.

Tine
04-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Can you give us an update?

Rbacchiega
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
not much to update right now...plans have changed yet again. I"m going to make a fish room, not use an old closet....and things are being ordered...just have to wait for everything to get here. This will definately be a slow build

sharuq1
04-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I like your ideas, can't wait to see what comes next