PDA

View Full Version : Polyp extension

martym
12-29-2008, 10:12 PM
Looking at peoples pics, how do you get your corals to extend during the day? Mine are out full at 5am and I'm looking at them with a flash light.

OceanicCorals-Ian-
12-29-2008, 10:19 PM
Looking at peoples pics, how do you get your corals to extend during the day? Mine are out full at 5am and I'm looking at them with a flash light.

KZ Pohls Xtra really helps with my daytime polyp extension!

dkcrx
12-29-2008, 10:43 PM
Pohls Xtra x2 I've been useing for aprox 3 weeks now and seeing some very good results.

martym
12-29-2008, 11:43 PM
I dose that at 3pm 3X per week, never noticed any difference. Have to take a close look next time I dose it.

marie
12-29-2008, 11:43 PM

What fish do you have? Mine used to extend during the day and the polyps that are in the center of the coral (and can't be reached by fish) are still extended but otherwise if they extend they get nipped by my regal angel.
All my corals still grow fine and look alright but I have long resigned myself to the fact that some of my acros don't look fuzzy :lol:

I have also read that in the wild, acros will only extend their polyps at night when food is plentiful and polyp nipping fish aren't around

debbaDEEra
12-30-2008, 03:17 AM
I supplement with coral accel and Strontium & Molybdenum, both by Kent marine. The bubble coral is quite large, the mushrooms are multiplying and the zoos are both large and multiplying. I add it at various times but it seems to work well.

Aquattro
12-30-2008, 04:27 AM
What type of corals are we talking about?

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-30-2008, 04:32 AM
Mostly all my sps have the most polyp extension during the day and only retract a bit after lights out. I don't do anything special. I do have some acros though that seem to have little polyp extension in the day and more at night but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

I know that doesn't help really but just an observation. Stuff like Millie's seem to have fully extended polyps all the time as do my gorgonians and I guess even zoos.

Aquattro
12-30-2008, 04:35 AM
Most of my SPS always have polyps out during the day. I've never done anything special. Most (all?) SPS I've seen at night have polyps out, especially on the axial coralites.