PDA

View Full Version : Filtration question

Fox
12-29-2008, 03:09 AM
I picked up a protein skimmer for my new tank setup which I thought was going to act as my filter for the tank but now I feel as though I misunderstood what it does. Will I also require a filter as well as the skimmer?

I do have a HOB and a submersible (canister?) filter I have been using in my freshwater tank that I upgraded, so I can get new media for them if I need to...but I just wondering if the skimmer is enough for the 33 gal or if I should be using one of the others as well.

I will have live rock with soft corals and fish in due time if that helps with the answer...I hope this post made sense...any info would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Rbacchiega
12-29-2008, 03:18 AM
a skimmer acts as part of your filtration. You're live rocks (with enough flow) combined with your skimmer and regular weekly water changes will be all the filtration you really need. No need for anything else.

Trigger Man
12-29-2008, 04:07 AM
I agree, as long as you've bought a good skimmer and you use live rock this will suffice for filteration.

Myka
12-29-2008, 04:26 AM
What skimmer did you buy?

mark
12-29-2008, 04:27 AM
A filter sock over the drain where it enter the sump doesn't hurt.

Fox
12-29-2008, 03:43 PM
What skimmer did you buy?
Thanks for all the replies!!

I picked it up on boxing day at Big Al's and asked for a medium-high end and they suggested the Coralife Super Skimmer...its rated for up to 65 Gallons which is double my tank size...hopefully they didnt steer me wrong...I havnt opened it yet so hopefully its a decent one...

xtreme
12-29-2008, 03:52 PM
I would try to return it and go for something else. Vertex, Euro-Reef, Deltec, ASM are all much better skimmers. I have seen coralife's in action and they are definitely NOT high-end skimmers. Big Al's in Calgary doesn't really have quality equipment and I would assume the one in Edmonton is similar. If you are on a budget look for a used one on here as you will be much happier with a decent used one than a coralife, which you would probably end up upgrading soon anyway. HTH

Black Phantom
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Somebody at Big Als has a very different outlook as to what a higher end skimmer would be. Take it back and check out some of the skimmers Xtreme listed. Or check here to see if anyone has a good used skimmer for sale.

Myka
12-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I agree with both the last two posters. Those Super Skimmers are anything but super! They also have a nasty tendency to flood your floor. I agree with the list Xtreme put out, except for the Vertex which my vote is still out. I might buy one to check it out for myself though. HAHA.

fkshiu
12-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies!!

I picked it up on boxing day at Big Al's and asked for a medium-high end and they suggested the Coralife Super Skimmer...its rated for up to 65 Gallons which is double my tank size...hopefully they didnt steer me wrong...I havnt opened it yet so hopefully its a decent one...

The CSS is a medium low end skimmer.

mark
12-29-2008, 05:03 PM
For what Big Al's carries it is a medium to high end.

I picked up a SS65 a while back for a QT and though does skim, it also leaks and can be a pain to adjust.

Rbacchiega
12-29-2008, 05:11 PM
alright, so now that we've all agreed that the Super Skimmer should be returned...I should ask,

Are you even running a sump system?

That will also determine what type of skimmer you'll need to get. If you're going with a sump, go crazy! Match the display tank volume in your sump (so get another 33 gallon tank) If not, your choice in quality skimmers narrows a bit

Fox
12-30-2008, 02:36 AM
Well at least I haven't opened it...I will take it back when I get a chance and check some of those other brands...I don't want to have to buy another one in a month or so...that's just lame.
Everyone was so rushed on Boxing day I just took what they offered and didn't question it.

On the bright side, I got my 90 gal all setup and everything transferred in now. Loving it!

Thanks for the advice! You guys are the best!

Fox
12-30-2008, 02:38 AM
alright, so now that we've all agreed that the Super Skimmer should be returned...I should ask,

Are you even running a sump system?

That will also determine what type of skimmer you'll need to get. If you're going with a sump, go crazy! Match the display tank volume in your sump (so get another 33 gallon tank) If not, your choice in quality skimmers narrows a bit

No, I hadn't planned on running a sump...Maybe in the future but not to start...

mark
12-30-2008, 03:02 AM
No, I hadn't planned on running a sump...Maybe in the future but not to start...

Easier to drill before everything becomes established

xtreme
12-30-2008, 03:54 AM
I'd recommend a sump. There are many benefits to having one. And drilling the tank is the way to go.

Fox
01-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Are the Remora skimmers any good?

fishytime
01-11-2009, 03:15 PM
If your looking at a remora, spend the extra hundred and get a Deltec mce300. I had a remora on my 20g and thought ya Im skimming. Then I upgraded tanks and started using a euro-reef. The first time I emptied the collection cup I realized that the remora wasnt doing jack. Your lighting and your skimmer are the two things I would suggest that you spend as much as you can afford on, as you truely do get what you pay for.

Fox
01-11-2009, 03:27 PM
The problem that I am having is finding some that has anything in stock.

fishytime
01-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Ever make it down to Cowtown?

Fox
01-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Ever make it down to Cowtown?

The next time I will be down will be in thw middle of February visiting my uncle to watch

the Daytona 500...