PDA

View Full Version : Sump Question

whiteangelbw
12-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new at this, have almost everything to set up my tank. My skimmer is a euro-reef 80 and needs 6-8" water level, I can get ahold of a sump with dimensions of 42x15x14H, 3 compartments at 14" each, is this good enough or should i go higher. My main display is 60 gal.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Angela

martym
12-28-2008, 10:51 PM
How big is the main display tank?

Rbacchiega
12-28-2008, 10:54 PM
the water level will depend on you. The compartments are fine size wise...just fill so you're at the 8" level while your return pump is running and your return pump

chevyjaxon
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
in marine bigger is better spend the extra money now, to avoid spending it later trust me on this and good luck

FitoPharmer
12-30-2008, 03:39 PM
i found my RS 80 had best performance in 7-9" of water, any deeper and it wouldn't skim as well. bigger is always better when it comes to sumps, you never know what you want room for down the road. just try and get as big as you can possibly fit/afford and just make sure it is still easy to access all your equipment.

Johnny Reefer
12-30-2008, 04:06 PM
You don't have to set a skimmer right on the sump floor. Just get a plastic basket, ala milk crate or those green baskets mandarin oranges have been sold in,...cut accordingly,...and set the skimmer on that. This allows for more water in the sump. Just make sure you leave enough room for backflow, in the event of a power failure.

HTH,