PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 1260 Owners

Canadian
12-28-2008, 10:39 PM
I just bought a used Eheim 1260 that has a crack in the housing. The seller reported that they had the pump "checked out" and that the damage was only cosmetic.

I submerged the pump in fresh tap water and tested for voltage leak and got a reading of 12 V AC. This seems quite high to me but I'm not sure if it's a consequence of the pump housing being cracked or if it's typical of this pump.

What I'd really appreciate is if someone with a 1260 could test their pump while it's submerged in a bucket with tap water?

I don't actually intend to run the pump submerged anyway though. I plan on running it externally as a return pump but I'm concerned that if the crack has something to do with the voltage leak then the crack might also lead to water leak eventually (how unfounded that concern is I'm not sure).

Skimmerking
12-28-2008, 10:43 PM
So the buyer lied to you then:twised: what a crap out that was.

Canadian
12-29-2008, 12:43 AM
I don't think the seller lied to me. She had someone at J&L check the pump and they told her it was cosmetic.

For what it's worth I just checked a spare Tunze 6025 Nanostream I have kicking around and it's dumping 22 V AC. So now I'm going to have to go through all my equipment and test each piece individually because I'm shocked that this Nanostream is so sketchy (plus I have 2 of them in my tank right now as it is).

Skimmerking
12-29-2008, 02:52 AM
may be its your meter then .

RuGlu6
12-29-2008, 02:54 AM
Can anybody explain How do i test it ?
I got Tunze and Eheim in my tank
thank you.

spreerider
12-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Attach one lead of your meter to a grounding rod in your tank and another to you ground connection for electricity (the third prong)

You will get some induced voltage from any motor in saltwater, its not easy to shield this all and no pump manufacturer to my knowledge sheiths their cables in braid or their motors in copper braid,
so as the ac current expands and contracts its magnetic field, the field causes a voltage to be generated in any conductive compounds or semi conductors, this is how generators and motors work.
Saltwater has the ability to work as a sort of battery and hold a charge generated by these fields.
If you test the ocean i bet you would get a small voltage as well,

StirCrazy
12-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Attach one lead of your meter to a grounding rod in your tank and another to you ground connection for electricity (the third prong)

You will get some induced voltage from any motor in saltwater, its not easy to shield this all and no pump manufacturer to my knowledge sheiths their cables in braid or their motors in copper braid,
so as the ac current expands and contracts its magnetic field, the field causes a voltage to be generated in any conductive compounds or semi conductors, this is how generators and motors work.
Saltwater has the ability to work as a sort of battery and hold a charge generated by these fields.
If you test the ocean i bet you would get a small voltage as well,

yup, and this is what you take into account when you set up anodes on ships. my using a silver silver chliride cell you can measure the electric charge in the area you are in and then add or remove zink to make your stuff not rust. or you can impress it with another electric current.

Steve