PDA

View Full Version : New tank

wgama
12-27-2008, 02:11 PM
We bought anew tank for my son whose account this is for christmas. we have some water from his little tank from a water change a few days ago, would it be a good idea to add this to the new tank?

new but handy
12-27-2008, 02:48 PM
morning
Test the water I couldn't see it being a problem to cycle a tank with it but I would test it first
It will probably speed up the cycle

wgama
12-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, wasn't sure if water from the other tank would be beneficial or a hazard.

Trigger Man
12-27-2008, 05:39 PM
you can also add any rock or ornaments from the smaller tank as it will already have some benificial bacteria on it to get the cycle going quicker.

wgama
12-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Seen in your signature that you run T5 lighting, what are the dimensions on your tank, mine is 48Lx18Dx24H. it came with a two bulb T5 but I will have to buy more lighting. Was wondering if another 4 or 6 T5 would be enough?

Rbacchiega
12-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Seen in your signature that you run T5 lighting, what are the dimensions on your tank, mine is 48Lx18Dx24H. it came with a two bulb T5 but I will have to buy more lighting. Was wondering if another 4 or 6 T5 would be enough?

that will depend on what type of corals you're wanting to keep. 4 would be fine for lower light corals such as mushrooms and softies etc. With 6 you'd be able to keep pretty much anything (SPS higher in the tank, with more flow etc).

I was going to go with 6 bulbs over my 90 (same dimensions as your tank) and from what I'd read you'd be able to sustain/grow anything (even clams) but went with MH instead.