PDA

View Full Version : dam that RTN!!

smokinreefer
03-12-2002, 09:26 PM
last night i noticed RTN setting in upon one of my favorite sps, an acro. millipora that was turning a nice peach color. i snapped off about 1/4 of the branches hopingto curb the blasted thing.

this morning before i went to work i took a peek into the tank and saw more tissue loss, so i pull off my shirt reach into the tank and start clipping more branches.

come home from work...DOA. i hope that the commensal crab and shrimp have found a new home...especially the shrimp...very interesting and unique little fella.

i didnt even manage to save a frag of it.

i guess on the bright side...i have room for another sps now.

DJ88
03-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Oh man.. Sorry to hear that Shao.. :(

smokinreefer
03-12-2002, 10:05 PM
thanks darren,

well i pulled out the dead milli, and the crab and shrimp were still in it, so i poked and prodded until the little crab came out, then i transferred him into a vacant acro colony. but while i was transferring this guy, the shrimp decided to jump out of the dead milli, and lost one of his claws in the process. but i have now gotten the shrimp into a vacant birds nest. hope he does OK.

powerreef
03-14-2002, 06:18 PM
hey smoken a little trick that has worked for my on several occations on mine and friends acro's that devloped rtn. take the coral out and pat dry the exposed skeleton and surrrounding tissue with a Q-Tip, then apply crasy glue gel all over the exposed skeleton and slightly over the surrounding tissue. give it a quick blow (to form a skin) and set it back in the tank. On most of the colonies I have done this to the tissue has grown right back over the hardened glue.

hope it helps.

Mike