PDA

View Full Version : Using Kent Phosphate Sponge

Oscar
12-23-2008, 03:02 PM
I am still battling hair algae and a growing problem of what looks to be bryopsis family of algae.

I have been employing Mykas recomendations of pruning, elevated Mg, phosphate reactor and skimming. The hair alae is receding ever so slightly but what I think is bryopsis is not receding.

I have done a bit of reading on bryopsis and one of the recomendations was to install a UV system to reduce the spores and breakup some of the nutrients. Since I have one on hand I will give that a try.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```
Back to the original question.

I have some Kent Phosphate sponge on my shelf that I would like to use up. I plan on putting it into the water flow in a mesh bag. The instructions on the package are rather nebulous. Any recommendations on useage, ie volume and frequency of changing?

Thanks

fishytime
12-23-2008, 03:08 PM
The phosphate sponge can reach a saturation point and begin to leech phosphates back into the system(just what Ive read). What are you using in your phos reactor? A better choice is rowaphos or the best choice is GFO.

Oscar
12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
What are you using in your phos reactor? A better choice is rowaphos or the best choice is GFO.

I had been using PhosBan in the reactor but it is just running carbon at the moment. I just ordered some GFO from Bulk Reef Supply. I expect it in next week?

In the meantime I thought I would use up the Kent Sponge material.

michika
12-23-2008, 03:50 PM
Just use up the Kent stuff. Swap it every week though. I tried it when I had GHA problems, and neither it nor a GFO had any effect.

Oscar
12-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Just use up the Kent stuff. Swap it every week though. I tried it when I had GHA problems, and neither it nor a GFO had any effect.

That's not very encouraging. What was your GHA solution?

The packaging states swapping every 2 days. Were you able to stretch it out longer?

michika
12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
I think I swapped it every 4 days. I did a bunch of reading up on it on RC at the time.

My GHA solution, after trying at least 15 other ways to deal with it, was a) long spine urchin, b) manual removal (this got old quick), c) just leaving it. My rocks were leaching phosphate which was feeding the GHA. I ended up just getting fed up with it, and by not doing anything the phosphates finishing leaching out of the rocks and that was it.

You can search for the thread, I think it was called something along the lines of doing battle with GHA.

Oscar
12-23-2008, 06:49 PM
I think I swapped it every 4 days. I did a bunch of reading up on it on RC at the time.

My GHA solution, after trying at least 15 other ways to deal with it, was a) long spine urchin, b) manual removal (this got old quick), c) just leaving it. My rocks were leaching phosphate which was feeding the GHA. I ended up just getting fed up with it, and by not doing anything the phosphates finishing leaching out of the rocks and that was it.

I also have 2 long spine urchins. They spend their time in the back of the rocks not in the front where most of the algae is. Yes at the end of the day I may just have to wait until the rocks stop leaching.

But I will use up the phosphate sponge in the mean time.