PDA

View Full Version : Stn?

Hairytank
12-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Well my nice new (4 days old) red millipora has hit a bump in the road...
Three branches turned bright white and the flesh seemed to be peeling away since last night. It looks to be Slow Tissue Necrosis..

Photo of piece broken off:
http://i364.photobucket.com/albums/oo81/jp_ryanAC/Uggg.jpg

Following online research, I broke away the portions that had turned white and a little more to be sure. I suspect this was caused by stress and travel during the current glacial cold.
dKh 8, Ca 430, sg 1.026, temp 79, po4 0, no3 <5 mg/l

Any thoughts would be welcome.

chris88
12-23-2008, 02:55 AM
i am going through the same things as we speak. it appears from everything i have read that there is no 100% way to stop it. other then maybe fraging off the uneffected areas. if you have any luck let me know.

Hairytank
12-23-2008, 03:39 AM
Apparently it was not so slow...
Over the last half hour I have had to frag about 70% of the coral. The flesh was simply falling off and moving rather rapidly, I could actually see it sloughing off over a few minutes.:cry:

All the other corals are doing fine, even the one I picked up on the same day. In fact the colour on the other new one is getting brighter and brighter.

Well there isn't much I can do now other than wait and... explain to my children that they "shouldn't say words like those and neither should dad..."

Skimmerking
12-23-2008, 01:08 PM
STN some times can reverse right in ti RTN. I was changing 5 gal from my 120 gal before i left to head out to Afghanistan. and after i did it . all leverls were perfect. then watched one of my acros just peel away... in the matter of 3-5 minutes just like that.

reefermadness
12-23-2008, 01:59 PM
From your description I would say it was RTN from the start.

STN happens over days/weeks and usually is quite slow working from the base of the coral. Usually STN does not kill the coral but if stress continues then it can turn into RTN.

RTN in comparison can happen in a matter of hours to maybe a couple of days if the coral is just hanging on. The corals starts peeling/flaking flesh off and the coral is usually unsavable.

Hairytank
12-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Well so much for saving the coral through fragging..
Even the fragged parts that were far far away from the original deterioration have now started to fall apart.
At least everything else is looking good in the tank and the coral added at the same time has not only coloured up, but the minimal damage from the transfer has already recovered as well.