PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on my pump

Seriak
05-13-2003, 03:46 PM
I have a rio2100 currently running my skimmer. Now I know that Rio's are garbage and I will replace it when my money tree starts producing. However, my current problem is that when I turn the pump off, it will not come back on again. I have to play with the impeller or flip it this or that way and after 1/2 hour to an hour of playing, it will eventually come back on. Am I missing something here. Is there a sure way of getting it to start every time? And yes it is clear of all debris and runs great when it runs.

Thanks

Chris

Bob I
05-13-2003, 04:49 PM
I have a rio2100 currently running my skimmer. Now I know that Rio's are garbage and I will replace it when my money tree starts producing. However, my current problem is that when I turn the pump off, it will not come back on again. I have to play with the impeller or flip it this or that way and after 1/2 hour to an hour of playing, it will eventually come back on. Am I missing something here. Is there a sure way of getting it to start every time? And yes it is clear of all debris and runs great when it runs.

Thanks

Chris

I am wodering if it is just a weak magnetic field. I have a little Minijet 404 that does the same thing. It will actually quit spontaneously. I have to pull it out of the water, and slowly put it back in. It will suck some air and start again.

Seriak
05-13-2003, 05:12 PM
My 404 does the same thing. I tried this on the Rio to no avail.

Delphinus
05-13-2003, 06:59 PM
Not having looked inside a Rio 2100 for a long time (I do have one kicking around somewhere though), does the impeller come off its shaft at all? If so, maybe there is some calcium buildup on the shaft itself that is causing the difficulties ... the impeller may look outwardly clean but unable to spin on the shaft. Something to look into perhaps?

Seriak
05-13-2003, 07:16 PM
I think I will give it a vinegar bath when I get home. However, from what I am reading, these pumps just do this and there is no fix except a new pump.

Oh Well

Thank guys!

Jack
05-13-2003, 07:20 PM
Yes, thats just Rio's for you! :mrgreen: