PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my 150 gallon tank. Sump sock cleaning?

newreefer_59
12-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Just wondering how often one should clean the sock in the sump - especially during the setting up process of the tank. Should i be rinsed in tap or RO/DI water?

Thanks

whatcaneyedo
12-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Mine is completely plugged after 3-4 days so I have to clean it. I wash 4 at once in the washing machine with warm water and a cup of bleach. I then do a second rinse cycle and hang the socks for a few days to make sure they're completely dried out.

In my opinion the best thing to do would be to clean them daily by wringing them out under running tap water... but that sounds like a lot of work to me.

BC564
12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
4-6 days......I just turn them inside out....remove pods or whatever critters are in there that I want.....

then toss it in the washing machine......put it through a wash cycle with no detergent...and a double rinse.....

Delphinus
12-22-2008, 08:34 PM
4 at once in the machine? Just curious, what do you do with the socks when they're waiting for 4 to be queued up? I tried that and the stench was unbearable - I tried both just having them sit out of water or just in a bucket of fresh water. So right now I just wash one at a time when I change them out. :lol:

Mine is completely plugged after 3-4 days so I have to clean it. I wash 4 at once in the washing machine with warm water and a cup of bleach. I then do a second rinse cycle and hang the socks for a few days to make sure they're completely dried out.

In my opinion the best thing to do would be to clean them daily by wringing them out under running tap water... but that sounds like a lot of work to me.

TheRealBigAL
12-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Every 5 days I throw my dirty sock in the washing machine with some vinegar and a little baking soda. Then after I run a load with just bleach to get the fishy smell outta my machine.

banditpowdercoat
12-23-2008, 12:46 AM
damn your socks get dirty LOL. Mine, every 3 weeks or so

Trigger Man
12-23-2008, 04:43 AM
damn your socks get dirty LOL. Mine, every 3 weeks or so

Three weeks i wish, it's every 3-4 days before cleaning for me.

Skimmerking
12-23-2008, 12:59 PM
4 at once in the machine? Just curious, what do you do with the socks when they're waiting for 4 to be queued up? I tried that and the stench was unbearable - I tried both just having them sit out of water or just in a bucket of fresh water. So right now I just wash one at a time when I change them out. :lol:

I have a spare bucket that i put water and soem bleach in and then when one is dirty. Off to the bucket and the nthe lid is twisted back on.

fishytime
12-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I have a spare bucket that i put water and soem bleach in and then when one is dirty. Off to the bucket and the nthe lid is twisted back on.

Do you ever proofread your posts?:razz:

whatcaneyedo
12-23-2008, 06:57 PM
My volitan lionfish and snowflake moray eel cause my socks to plug pretty fast. I just leave them in a closed bucket until I have 4 ready to be washed and yes they smell really bad.

mark
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM

I rotate 4 socks. After about a week I'll take out and give a good rinse with a garden hose then just place in a open open pail with a bit of water. Even after 3 weeks when I'll wash 3, there's no smell.