PDA

View Full Version : Setting up my 150 gallon tank....question re: Tunze power heads, etc

newreefer_59
12-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Just in the process of setting up my 150 gallon tank (60"X24X24). Looking for better quality power heads/circulation pumps and was sold the nanostream Tunze 6055 pumps along with controller. Not installed yet, but I see that these pumps are rated for aquariums to 132 gallons. Question: are these pumps adequate for my tank if there is one at each end? And is the controller really a value added addition to the tank?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Aquattro
12-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I had that same tank, using a Tunze 6100 and a 6080. Not nearly enough, IMO. I guess it depends on what you're planning to keep. Fish, then you're fine. SPS, probably not so fine.

newreefer_59
12-22-2008, 07:59 PM
thanks...still deciding on LPS or SPS coral. I have been told that SPS coral requires a much higher flow than LPS, but wondering - in general - if these particular pumps are adaquate for this size tank.

Aquattro
12-22-2008, 08:31 PM
but wondering - in general - if these particular pumps are adaquate for this size tank.

Again, it depends. For LPS, ya, probably, for SPS, no.

fkshiu
12-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Just in the process of setting up my 150 gallon tank (60"X24X24). Looking for better quality power heads/circulation pumps and was sold the nanostream Tunze 6055 pumps along with controller. Not installed yet, but I see that these pumps are rated for aquariums to 132 gallons. Question: are these pumps adequate for my tank if there is one at each end? And is the controller really a value added addition to the tank?

Any opinions are appreciated.

If you are careful about your rockwork and the placment of the 6055s AND you do a 2-minute modification to them you could get away with SPS in the tank.

The modification is simply clipping out and grinding away the lip that is on the inside of the front cover of the 6055. Once it is gone and smoothed out, you'll get a LOT more flow.

Insofar are rockwork and placement is concerned, what you should strive for is open space with water being able to flow all around the rock. Something like "islands" of rock with water flowing around it. In other words, you should not have any rock touching the sides, front or back glass. This maximizes the flow you have in the tank.

Depending on how many 6055s you have, you should set them up the generated "Gyre" flow - think a whirlpool. Do NOT have them aimed at each other if they are on at the same time - only have them pushing in one direction at a time. This way the water will create a whirlpool effect and it will gain momentum over time due to centrifugal force. Done properly your using the flow you have much more efficiently that a traditional setup with powerheads. If you were lucky enough to have purchased a Multicontroller with the 6055s, then you can set up reversing Gyres with the 6055s pointing at each other. Choose Interval 1 on the multicontroller and set the interval for at least half an hour.

I was able to keep SPS with a single Tunze 6000 on a single controller in a 6'x2'x18" tank. The old 6000 doesn't have much more flow than a modded 6055. I currently have a 6055 and a 6100 doing reverse Gyres. When the 6055 is on it pushes all the way across the 6' length of the tank and the flow comes back the other way like it should in a Gyre.

Of course after all is said and done, having one or more of the bigger, badder Tunzes would make keeping SPS a lot easier.

newreefer_59
12-23-2008, 09:26 PM
thanks very much for that info.....have just purchased (ouch!) 2 6055's with the controller, so it sounds like I should be ok - especially if I just go primarily with LPS.

Cheers

mike31154
12-24-2008, 12:27 AM
I see you've already purchased the Tunzes. Another option may have been a couple of EcoTech VorTech pumps. They're not inexpensive either though and I'm not sure how the flow would compare to what you currently have. I have one VorTech in my 75 gal, no experience with Tunze, but the VorTech also has a controller and it produces a strong, broad flow.