PDA

View Full Version : UV users - recommendations re wiper or no-wiper

Delphinus
12-22-2008, 06:22 PM
As some of you may know I think I am battling a pathogen of some kind in my system and thus I'm now at the point I'm considering the purchase of a UV sterilizer to continue the pursuit of resolving this issue.

The only thing I know about what to look for in a UV sterilizer is that I've heard "you should get one with a wiper".

I can understand that keeping the unit clean will keep it most effective, so I can thus understand the reasoning for that recommendation.

The problem is the finding of said UV-sterilizer-with-a-wiper. It basically comes down to, if this is an important requirement, it's a different cost category AND it has to be mail-ordered from a US vendor - all the major players north of the border - at least all the ones I deal with - offer UV units without a wiper.

So how important would you say this feature is? Is it worth the hassle of finding one with the wiper or could one just go ahead and live without it?

Aquattro
12-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd guess you could live without it. If it needs cleaning, then just clean it.

StirCrazy
12-22-2008, 07:00 PM
I don't have no stinkin wiper, takes 30 seconds to clean the bulb once and a while.

Steve

fishoholic
12-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I don't have no stinkin wiper, takes 30 seconds to clean the bulb once and a while.

Steve

Ditto

Delphinus
12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Ok sounds good. Thanks folks!

(So is it Boxing Day yet???)

midgetwaiter
12-22-2008, 09:58 PM
I own a Pentair without a wiper and maintain lots of AquaUV units with wipers. I maybe get around to cleaning my Pentair once every month or so, I find it all to easy to procrastinate on taking the damn thing apart. With the Aqua UVs you give give the wiper a couple pulls and you're done so if you're like me you're more likely to do it regularly. The cleaner the sleeve is the better it works.

Tony, shoot me a pm and I'll see about getting you the boxing day price on it, I can just send it down there with my brother after xmas.

Razz
12-23-2008, 12:04 AM
I had run a UV for over 4 years, and each time I pulkled it apart it was relativly clean. Very little build up of any sorts, so I would think that w/o should be fine, I also have to say that I would never run a system without a UV even with all of the debate, I ffound it kept the water chrystal clear and I had few problems with any problem alagaes sickness etc.

Willito
12-23-2008, 02:35 AM
For those that are UV, what wattage and gph are you running? State your tank size too.

Trigger Man
12-23-2008, 04:40 AM
I'm running the 18watt, with a maxijet 900 on my 125ish gallon tank. No wiper and it stays really clean, basicly the only time I clean it is when I change the bulb about once a year.