PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for help

busymum
12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Hello to all you experienced reefers. I just picked up a 92gal tank with live rock and live sand. I am in the set up process but not sure how to wash the live sand. I am planning to use the aquatic safe system that came with my tank, should I rinse the sand with this as well? Or should I make some sort of salt solution to rinse it with? Also the live rock, should I be rinsing this too? I really appreciate any and all advise, tips and tricks and I'm not very good at navigating this site yet so if there is a place for newbies like myself to get further info please by all means point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance:lol:

chris88
12-22-2008, 06:24 PM
dont wash your rocks and snad in normal water you will kill mostly everything if not everything in it. if you want you could rinse the rocks in salt water before you add them into your tank to remove some of the die off but its not nesssary. just put salt water 1.024 in your tank, add the sand, and then add the rock and let it sit for a month and test for the proper parameters. also you will need to add your equipment, heaters, power heads, filters, skimmers, lights, etc. once you get it set up make a post about what to test for and then take it for there.

martym
12-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Agreed

debbaDEEra
12-23-2008, 02:26 AM
Should the rock go in before the sand? Just in case there is a sand sifting critter. It won't get crushed? Just a thought.

chris88
12-23-2008, 02:38 AM
yeah thats a good option, only problem is its going to be a bit of work to clean all of the sand off the rock. but on a plus side it will help keep the base rocks secure.

fdiddy
12-23-2008, 02:46 AM
Should the rock go in before the sand? Just in case there is a sand sifting critter. It won't get crushed? Just a thought.

+1 on this.. use a powerhead after to blow the sand off the rocks once everthing has settled.