PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy Water

plutoniumJoe
12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
We were hosting a Christmas get together last night, so of course I wanted my tank to be spic and span (who cares about the bathrooms). I scraped coaraline algae from the glass, full clean of the Protein Skimmer and a 15% water change. I changed my lighting schedule from 7am - 8pm to Noon to 10PM with MH on from 2-8pm on advice from LFS.

I woke up this morning and the water is cloudy. Ph 8.1, NH3/4 0.0, N02 0.0, salinity has crept up to 1027 with evaporation.

Any thoughts?

StirCrazy
12-22-2008, 04:34 PM
did you add any Ca additive? or is it clearing up now?

Steve

plutoniumJoe
12-22-2008, 04:48 PM
I haven't added any Ca additives but I can see how that might be an issue as the specific gravity may be too high and the temp at 76 is too low causing precipitate. I am going to try and replace the carbon as it is a week old and see if that helps. I don't know if I should try another water change or not. Nothing seems dead as far as I can tell but my open brain has looked better.

StirCrazy
12-22-2008, 04:54 PM
No one spilled anything in the tank by any chance ? oh and what was your Ca and alk levels last night if you know?

Steve

plutoniumJoe
12-22-2008, 05:07 PM
That was my first thought but I don't see it as a probability as there is a full canopy and cabinet. I don't know what my Ca is before the change but it is 390 according to my test kit but last time I tested and LFS tested their test was higher by about 90.

Ken
12-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Have you noticed if the protein skimmer you cleaned is now picked up some more junk? Regards Ken

plutoniumJoe
12-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the response but things have cleared up now. I attribute it to possibly a drop in temperature (I don't think my heater is keeping up at night) and the increased specific gravity. I will hold off until boxing day and pick up another heater. In the mean time the family will simply be more comfortable at night.