PDA

View Full Version : Cant get dosing pump to work

Ephraim
12-22-2008, 12:08 AM
I purchased two Aqua Medic SP 3000 Dosing Pumps for dosing 2 part to my system. But i am having trouble getting them to work with a timer. I am trying to use the digital timer from Coralife that has the 8 outlets. The timer initiates the pumping, and then when it turns the pumps off the timer resets the time and timed settings. I have tried this on 3 separate timer bars with the same results. What kind of timer do these pumps need to work with as this is not working out for me.

thanks

Delphinus
12-22-2008, 05:17 AM
That sort of sounds like a problem with the timer(s) itself/themselves? If the timers work for everything else then I wonder if there's a short or some kind of ground fault in the pump because there really isn't much to those pumps .. they're on or they're off. A timer resetting itself though really seems like the timer is at fault .. Have you tried just the standard digital type timer from Home Depot or where-ever?

Ephraim
12-22-2008, 01:15 PM
i have only tried the coralife type timers with the pumps so far. I have been apprehensive about buying another timer, worried that the same thing will happen. I dont have much time this time of year for going back and forth to home depot.

One thing i found that might be causing the problem is that the user manual says the pumps run at 230V or 220V (cant remember, its one or the other) and the coralife power bar is 120V. Would this be creating the problem?

reefermadness
12-22-2008, 03:36 PM
The user manual is most likely wrong about the 220v because it comes from EU. If the plug is the same type of prong as here you are probably good. Check the back of the unit it should say 120v 60hz. Then simply plug it in to test it.

From what I've read coralife timers are notoriously bad. Are not even digital. You will probably need something that can time down to the minute because these pumps move pretty fast 30ml/min I beleive.

I have a aquamedic twin doser and personally I would not recommend them. You should have got the drews doser. The drews doser pump does not syphon and the aquamedic will so you have to be careful the way you set it up and use check valves that can fail.

snarkys
12-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi

I really have no idea what would cause that, certainly sounds like a faulty timer to me but your best best is to call the tech support at aqua medic since no one has more experience with odd things like this than them.Toll Free: 877.208.2633

Ephraim
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
it is the digital version of the coralife timer that i am trying to use it with. I currently have the pumps set up with check valves so i am covered on that.

I will try calling customer support, see if they have some answers.

reefermadness
12-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Well it should be pretty easy to see if it's the timer or pump. Just plug the pump in and see if it works fine. Unplug it and plug it back in.....if everything is moving and working fine then it's the timer.

Ephraim
12-22-2008, 09:22 PM
works fine plugged in without the timer. It just seems odd that it would present the same issue on 3 different timers.

Does anyone have any reccomended grounded muilt-plug digital timers that i should use?

snarkys
12-23-2008, 02:48 AM
Possible the pumps produce some electrical noise that particularly cheap timers might not like.

I think your best bet might be to call coralife and ask what would cause thier timer to behave this way.