PDA

View Full Version : Orange Shoulder Tang

fdiddy
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I have just finished my 160g plywood tank and was wondering if this tank would be large enough to house an orange shoulder tang. I know they get quite big but am having troubles finding consistent size ranges and required aquarium sizes. If not, that is fine - i will get something smaller, but this is my favorite tang and REALLY want to keep this baby :P Any advice will be appreciated.

fishoholic
12-21-2008, 05:33 PM
I think it's fine, a 160g is fairly big.

Aquattro
12-21-2008, 05:37 PM
I'd say it's fine.

naesco
12-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Your tank is large enough to accommodate several tangs.

But, from personal experience I would ask that you seriously reconsider the orange shoulder tang for a couple of reasons.
If you intend to keep several tangs, there are much more beautiful tangs available than the orange. Although cute when small, they grow quickly and become rather drab looking when mature.
As the mature they become very aggressive prohibiting you from adding further tangs later.
They are very active like sohols and prohibit you from adding peaceful type non-tang species.

If you like tangs take the time to study all the species.
Here is a listing of the bad ones with reasons why
http://wetwebmedia.com/badacanthurusaq.htm

fishoholic
12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
They are very active like sohols and prohibit you from adding peaceful type non-tang species.

It depends on the fish. I have seven tangs, my Sohal and Clown tang (which are known to be the most aggressive) aren't aggressive at all, even to new additions. My regal/hippo tang (which is supposed to be on the more peaceful side) is fairly aggressive.

fdiddy
12-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the reference! Personally though i LOVE the adult look of the orange shoulder. Yellow and blue are just too common in this hobby and many fish are very underated. Anyways, I will read up, but as a general consensus 160g is plenty?

fdiddy
12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Well, I said I would read up... and I did. Thanks for the advice and article. Seems i'll be waiting for a FOWLR or 250+g tank for this guy. Thanks guys.

fishoholic
12-21-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the reference! Personally though i LOVE the adult look of the orange shoulder. Yellow and blue are just too common in this hobby and many fish are very underated. Anyways, I will read up, but as a general consensus 160g is plenty?

Honestly yes. You can always buy a juvi and upgrade to a 250g a few years later on down the road. PS I've seen orange shoulder's in full reef's and they're fine, not sure you'd need a fowlr tank.

naesco
12-21-2008, 11:02 PM

Hey take a good look at the acanthurus japonica,(it has orange on it and is called a powder brown tang. I had it for 14 yrs and was the best fish I ever had.
It stays rather small and has a great personality.
Often confused with the A. nigricans which has a poor survival record. (no orange on it).

I also agree that bad tangs can sometimes be passive and vice-versa but my experience is consistant with the authors who don't recommend orange shoulder tangs. I also think it is best to get a fish that your present tank can accommodate because despite a fishkeepers best intentions, plans change due to a move, economics or family issues and the fish is stuck in a tank too small for its needs.

Merry Christmas to everyone and enjoy a white Christmas.

Psyire
12-22-2008, 12:07 AM
What are the dimensions of the tank?

fdiddy
12-22-2008, 10:32 PM
Tank is 63" long x 24" High X 24" wide.