PDA

View Full Version : Clown, Black Percula missing tail. Certain death?

ner'T'
12-20-2008, 04:34 AM
I came home and my clown was missing its tail... just a ratty stump left. It can still swim better then you'd expect.

Yesterday I found it in the middle camber on top of the filter pad. I moved it back and it seemed fine.

I unplugged the Hydor Koralia to mellow out the currents.

I'll try to get a photo

Any suggestions?, or experience with major fin injuries?

-Biocube Tk
-only fish in tank

fdiddy
12-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I've had a clown that was being kept in the sump make it into my pump (only 300 gph at the time) and lost most of his pectoral fin and tail. He also appeared to have back problems (Runs in the family ;) ) but he's fine now... well he swims fine and he made a full recovery.. even after swimming on the bottom with a hurt back for two weeks.. GL

christyf5
12-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Just make sure he's fed well and keeps eating. They can regrow their tails, although sometimes it doesn't come back looking all pretty depending on how far down onto the base its gone. I had a midas blenny that was attacked by a hawkfish, it took him awhile but eventually most of his tail grew back and he was fine. Does he host in anything? Just thinking you may want to try to find something he can host in so he's not exhausting himself swimming all the time.

ner'T'
12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Thanks so much for the info... So far he's hanging in!

rkelman
01-02-2009, 10:07 PM
I had a little guy probably only 1/2 or 3/4" long and someone bit his tail off. He regrew the tail and was fine. I hope yours does the same.