PDA

View Full Version : What coral would survive a 2-3 day shipping

Patrice
12-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi!
I live in Yellowknife so getting new live stock always cost me lot to get it ship via Canadian North or First Air. The average shipping cost me 200$. This is fine for large shipment but too much to get frags or small items.

This is weird but the best alternative I have is Canada Post. Priority Mail from anywhere in the country would take 2 days. I am a little scare about this but would like to give it a try from Edmonton or Calgary.

I was thinking about a couple frag but I am not sure what coral have the best chances.

What do you think about this?
What coral would you recommend me?

If this can work, even for only a few species, that would be awesome! This could be the way to fill my tank without breaking my bank!

Thanks lot!

KPG007
12-19-2008, 11:57 PM
The biggest issue is temperature. Most corals require their water to be in the 76 - 80 range. Even with a heat pack, a package would never stay that warm for that long. Zoas would probably last the longest, but you'd be throwing your money away on almost anything else.

marie
12-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Greg (coralmaster) has sent us sps corals here in Powell River which were 48 hrs in transit, everything survived with minimal problems.
I've had ricordeas come from ontario that took 3 days. They were very cold when they got here and they bleached on arrival but otherwise survived

*edit* In yellowknife it might be a good idea to wait until summer though

fishytime
12-20-2008, 12:45 AM
The answer is, everything can survive 3-4 days in transit if packaged properly. I would however recommend perhaps waiting til the warmer months.