PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Reef Supply 2 Part

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-19-2008, 06:25 AM
Just wondering how many use it? I missed the group buy unfortunately.

I guess its 1 gallon calcium, 1 gallon MG, 1 gallon Alk and the mixing bottles in the package I am looking at. Only thing I guess I am wondering is whether the price is good or not. I have been using the Two Little Fishies C-Balance stuff that is quite expensive.

The BRS package will be around $150 with shipping. Seems expensive maybe? They are all 1 gallon worth but still...

What other option besides a calcium reactor would you recommend?

I use kalk in my top off water but I don't know if thats enough.

tang daddy
12-19-2008, 06:37 AM
If you don't have a calcium reactor then definately 2 part dosing is the way to go....

Look at it this way a CA set up with good reg's monitor and so on new will go for about 750-800 bucks.

2 part is 30 is per and if used gently like 2 caps of each per week will last you 5-6 months so how long would the 2 part or shall I say how many till you displace the cost of a CA set up..... Also buying bags of CA and mg can cost alot from the lfs like around 30-50 for the year.

The downside of CR is dialing it in keeping it monitored so it doesn't plug up the tube (if you run fine calcium) and run the pump dry. Also keeping CA levels in check.

Downside to 2 part have to dose once a week in top off water however I'm doing both so double the work for me.

GreenSpottedPuffer
12-19-2008, 07:26 AM
If you don't have a calcium reactor then definately 2 part dosing is the way to go....

Look at it this way a CA set up with good reg's monitor and so on new will go for about 750-800 bucks.

2 part is 30 is per and if used gently like 2 caps of each per week will last you 5-6 months so how long would the 2 part or shall I say how many till you displace the cost of a CA set up..... Also buying bags of CA and mg can cost alot from the lfs like around 30-50 for the year.

The downside of CR is dialing it in keeping it monitored so it doesn't plug up the tube (if you run fine calcium) and run the pump dry. Also keeping CA levels in check.

Downside to 2 part have to dose once a week in top off water however I'm doing both so double the work for me.

Yeah I just don't want more equipment right now to look after. I prefer two part and kalk for now. In the future we will see. So far I don't even use much two part to keep everything in check cause I have mostly frags. I may eventually add a CA reactor but I am going to hold off for a while.

reefermadness
12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
I use BRS two part. I buy the gallon pails which make a ton of DIY 2 part. It is the dry chemical so you add a few cups (can't remember exactly) of the calcium chloride or sodium carbonate to RO/DI water.

I have mine automated on dosing pumps. I have used a ca reactor in the past but prefer the automated 2 part.