PDA

View Full Version : Magdrive Pumps.

StirCrazy
05-12-2003, 07:24 PM
I love the magdrive pumps but laitly I have been rethinking there use and debating weather or not to keep them..

the problem is they get bunged up with calcium so bad they stop working. I have this problem about every 2 or 3 months.

anyone else having these problems? and is it because I am usign a reactor to keep my Ca at 450 or higher?

if this is the case will a external pump (like a MAK or ampmaster) be better with high Ca levels?

Steve

Aquattro
05-12-2003, 07:40 PM
I just took my MAG 18 apart after about a year to clean, and there was no Ca build up at all. It was a bit slimey, but that's it.

Dale D
05-12-2003, 08:19 PM
I've set up alot of tanks for people using Mag Drive pumps and never had a problem with any of them.

One tank I look after has had a Mag 18 running on it for almost 3 years and I have never taken it apart to clean it.

I've never had a problem with calcium build up on any make of pump I have ever used.

Maybe I have just been lucky. :biggrin:

StirCrazy
05-12-2003, 08:36 PM
well while I had the stuff out I decided to do my skimmer mag12 while I was at it.. good thing as it was starting to bind up as well.

here is a pic of the housing in which you can see the calcium coating.
http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/pump_housing.jpg

this pic is the impeller assembly taken apart for a super viniger cleaning.
the return pump took about a hour soak befor I could pull the shaft out of the magnet as the magnet was bonded to the shaft with Ca, this pum was a little easyer to remove but the magnet would not spin freely on the shaft like it was suposed to.

http://members.shaw.ca/stircrazy/guts.jpg

Steve[/list]

Acro
05-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Steve, Whats your alk at? Also what makes you think you wouldn't have the same problem with another brand pump?

StirCrazy
05-13-2003, 03:20 AM
Hey Jamie, my Alk is usaly about 13.

I know there will be the same sort of problem with other pumps (I get it with my Maxijets also but they are less critical than the return and skimmer pumps) but other types of pumps, like direct drive pumps, will not be effected like a magnetic drive pump. it isn;t the magnet that gets stuck in the housing but rather the Ca seizes the magnet to the ceramic rod and prevents if from spinning. so with say a amp master the only place that would be affected is the pump seals but because the motor is a lot more powerfull and directly coupled to the pump impeller it will not be stopped as easy as any of the magnetic drive type pumps.

One thing that might have contributed is I did make a booboo and cause a percipitation event about a month ago.. took the tank about 4 hours to clear after that LOL. So the event might have caused a adnormal amount of Ca build up in a short time.

I was just looking to see if I was the only one that has had this problem and if not how I can fix it.

Steve

Canadian Man
05-13-2003, 05:32 AM
Steve. I used to have this problem with my pumps(priticualaraly my MJ's) when I was dripping kalk. Since going to just the reactor my alk is about 3.4meq/l and I have no problems like your having or like I used to have.

Acro
05-13-2003, 10:42 AM
I see what what your saying Steve. I have heard of others having issues with calcium precipation causing issues with mag pumps.

kari
05-28-2003, 02:17 AM
Mag18- shaft swelled up within 1 year 1 month( expensive to replace), placed pump in dead pump receptical can

Mag12 ("12" I think)- 10 months and triggered GFI, replaced by pump manufacturer

Kari

StirCrazy
05-29-2003, 12:11 AM
Mag18- shaft swelled up within 1 year 1 month( expensive to replace), placed pump in dead pump receptical can

Kari

Darn do you still have it in the can? if so send it on the bus to me COD. I will pay the 24 bucks for a new impeller.

Steve

kari
05-29-2003, 03:46 AM
$25 for impeller on mag18? It must have been a case of the LFS giving me the shaft :eek:
Would you be satisfied with 1 year or less operation out of your pumps?

kari

Aquattro
05-29-2003, 03:56 AM
My MAG 18 has been running almost 3 years. I've cleaned it twice. I have a very high opinion of these pumps. My 12 is over 2 years old, and I sold a 24 that was over 5 and it's still working in a pond.
BTW, the impeller for the 18 is about $36 at J&L

StirCrazy
05-29-2003, 04:16 AM
I woulden't buy impellers at J&L, well I shouldent say that.. they are peobably the best price around for a fish store. I can get them cheeper localy, but thats another think whare my buddy has to be working when I go in. As far as Mag drive pumps go the first year is going to be the hardest on the pump as we are just learning to maintain levels and such. also the first couple months is extreamly hard on the pumps (any pump for that matter) if you have a DSB. this is the reason I have replaced the impeller in my main return pump. Sand does a hell of a job at eroding plastic.

kari
05-29-2003, 04:19 AM
Oh, that explains it. J&L price vrs Calgary fish store that wants to sell a pump price. Maybe I just had bad luck but I don't like electical problems under water. Still using a Mag2 on C-Reactor. 3 strikes and I am out.
The Mag18 is still in the dead $200+pump can and I'll try again to find a replacement shaft. Thanks for your thoughts.

Kari

kari
05-29-2003, 04:25 AM
In calgary I was quated $75. :eek: :eek:

Canadian Man
05-29-2003, 04:27 AM
Oh, that explains it. J&L price vrs Calgary fish store that wants to sell a pump price. Maybe I just had bad luck but I don't like electical problems under water. Still using a Mag2 on C-Reactor. 3 strikes and I am out.
The Mag18 is still in the dead $200+pump can and I'll try again to find a replacement shaft. Thanks for your thoughts.

Kari

Hey kari, If you want to get rid of the mag 18 i'll take it off your hands :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
05-29-2003, 04:41 AM
Hey Kari ... call around to the hydroponic stores ... you can get the J&L price or less ( cant remember which one I saw the replacement impeller at while hunting for a reflector )

Cheers

Delphinus
05-29-2003, 02:17 PM
$75? :eek: Outrageous. Have you tried Bumper Crop? I doubt they'll quote you that much. Give them a call. Actually I think they may still honour discounts for hort society/orchid society cardholders so if you want I can go pick it up for you ... it'll be at least 10%, or some percentage anyways, cheaper...

And failing that, I'd be happy to buy it from you too! :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
05-30-2003, 01:14 AM
Hey Kari ... here is a link to a local hydroponic store that sells replacement impellers for 39.99

http://www.betterthannature.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=547

Cheers

kari
05-31-2003, 03:43 AM
OK. Once again I didn't do my homework :sad: I let Wai Guy sell me another pump. The pump he sold me has proved to be quite good so far though.

Tony;

If I can get the shaft out of the Mag18, I will gladly take you up on your offer of repair kit pickup. The impeller is still good, the shaft is toast. Also there is a small rubber flapper (purpose unknown) 2cm upstream of the impeller(in pump housing) that is also toast. If this small part is not part of or unavailable in the repair kit I'll ignore it for now until I can reason its usefulness.
If I can't remove the shaft, we might aswell forget the whole operation.

For your troubles I can provide a frag or two of your choice (acro, birdnest, or whatever are you interested in.)

Kari

Buccaneer
05-31-2003, 06:02 AM
The impeller is still good, the shaft is toast.
Kari

I believe it comes as a kit Kari ( shaft / impeller ) ... you can also buy the housing seperately as well as they are notorious for cracking

actually look at the link I posted above for the pic of the whole assembly

Cheers

Michael
06-09-2003, 06:20 PM
Wondering on best way to clean a mag12 pump.
Assuming nothing is broken, any tricks (ie like using vinegar..past by a thread like that somewhere) to clean it properly?

--I've cleaned many powerheads and canister filters...this is my first mag pump.

Thanks

Michael

StirCrazy
06-10-2003, 12:28 AM
take it all apart and soak it in vinager overnight.

Steve