PDA

View Full Version : Anyone successful in trapping a SallyLightfoot Crab?

Carmen
12-17-2008, 07:09 PM
And may I add - WITHOUT dismantling the rockwork!
Recently added one to my tank but I am not sure I trust the little gaffer. Never actually seen him eating any livestock but he is sure fast. Trying the tilted glass with bait. Worked for anyone? He is too large for the pop bottle.
Carmen

Pier Pressure
12-17-2008, 07:14 PM
I have only heard of the baited trap. It can take several days and you might catch other things you do not want in the meantime. But I have heard with patience this way totally works!

ElGuappo
12-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I have a pest trap you can borrow.

tang daddy
12-18-2008, 01:05 AM
these crabs are smart you will only have one chance.... I kept mine for 1 year it never hurt any of my corals however it would steal food from the corals mouth.

I wake up and the lights of the tank are off they sometimes appear on the front pane of glass grab a net and quickly trap it against the glass then take your time to pull the guy out watch out cause the first try he climbed right out of the net and jumped back in the tank, slippery buggers!

By the time I caught mine it was about 4in across.

Carmen
12-18-2008, 01:11 AM
Thanks El Guappo - I may need to take you up on that. I will try this glass for a couple days and let you know. Did you catch your with it?
It is nearly as big as yours was.

ElGuappo
12-18-2008, 01:14 AM
no i destroyed my aquascape to do it.

Carmen
12-18-2008, 01:16 AM
UGH! Well, I cannot do that so I need to find something that will catch him.
Carmen

FitoPharmer
12-18-2008, 03:05 PM
when i had 3 of these guys to take care of a algae bloom they were great. once the algae was gone they started buggin all the corals. amazingly i removed all of them from my tank by not cleaning one of my koralia's and let it get algae on it. once it was covered i found they would swim up there to eat it and once on the powerhead high up on my glass they didnt swim off just try and get away by climbing around and around the powerhead, made them real easy to catch.

ElGuappo
12-18-2008, 04:45 PM
i should have mentioned i didnt even try the trap. bought the trap for a different reason. and also i was already dismantling the tank at that time so it wasnt a big deal.

soryy i have come to realize that i can be more than a little vague in some posts.

Carmen
12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Well, all I caught last night is a few bristle worms and some pods! Relocated the glass and try again. Funny is he sits just an inch away from the glass but so far has not ventured near. Put some algae tablets in there as well as shrimp but he doesn't seem interested.
Never really seen mine go for algae so I don't think he'd go for the Algae covered Koralias - too bad cuz that would actually be fun to watch!

FitoPharmer
12-19-2008, 04:54 AM
all the sally's iv seen go nuts on any type of algae they can get their claws on.