PDA

View Full Version : Anemone Explosion...

Pier Pressure
12-17-2008, 05:05 PM
Hi, everyone. Long story short - bought one of those beautiful rose bubble tip anemones when Golds had them in stock with the bright blue and yellow carpets a while back. My carribean crab started hosting in it right away and she did well for about two weeks. Then I could not find her. Next thing I know I have dozens of little baby rbtas popping up all over the place. They range in size from a dime to about a loonie and I would like to sell them at say $10 a pop or trade for good low-light frags.

I also have a green bubble tip anemone that was about the size of a dime when I put it in about six months ago and it is now the size of a small softball. The carribean crab is hosting it and my wild perc is fighting with him for the right to the anemone. We changed the flow up a little bit and wham - next thing I know he has split in two overnight. I am going to keep the two green ones for a while, but the roses have got to go as they are popping up around my brain and other corals and I do not want to see the corals damaged.

Let me know if you are interested. I live pretty close to downtown in Calgary. I would like to say you can pick and choose whichever one you want - but unless you know a good way to remove them easily I have to say whatever comes easiest off my rocks.

Also, I have these babies under only PC lighting so they are bound to colour up a lot better for those of you who have better - which I am sure is most of you.

Send PM - I am online on and off throughout the day. I do not have any pictures of the tank. Thank you and have a great day!

simba
12-17-2008, 05:08 PM
pmd

Phanman
12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
pm'd

Fishgirl
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Pm'd

Pier Pressure
12-17-2008, 06:16 PM
All pm's replied to. Holy anemone-lovers in this city!

Pier Pressure
12-17-2008, 06:42 PM
I think I should mention that pick-up of the nems will not be occurring until after New Years. I am swamped with renos and the holiday season and did not expect such an overwhelming response! They will be fine in my tank for another couple of weeks.

So let me know your phone number, how many you want, and what you have to trade if trading is what you want to do, and I shall contact everyone after New Years. Thanks!

Barrett.Oliver
12-17-2008, 06:58 PM
pm'd

Pier Pressure
12-17-2008, 08:35 PM
All of the nems have now been tentatively sold pending pick up the first week of 2009. I shall let you know if any of the sales/trades fall through.

Pier Pressure
01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
I am having some issues with scheduling so many pick ups so here is what I would like to do. Pick up of the anemones will occur on Sunday, between noon and five, if that works for most of you. The biggest anemone and another one that is on a small rock have already been traded, so first come first serve to pick from the rest.

I have had many emails saying "save the biggest one for me" etc. Preference was given to the one person who wanted to do some trading. I shall email the people who are on the original list with my address and telephone number, and hopefully you can come on Sunday and pick up a baby nem. The biggest will still be in my tank but for display purposes only.

I hope this works for everyone because I am not running an anemone business here and am just trying to do this as easily as possible. Hope to see you Sunday!

Pier Pressure
01-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Okay so I am still getting emails from people who are saying they will be at my place at 11:55, they do not want to come later because they think somebody else will get bigger ones, etc. I already traded the loonie-sized guy and he is still in my tank for display so you can see how they look a little bigger. What is left is mostly dime and end-of-pencil sized and it does not matter what time you show up - the nems that are moving first will be the ones that are easiest to get to and come off the rock easiest. I am not moving my rock work all around and endangering my livestock because somebody wants "that cute one at the back".

So if you want a dime or pencil eraser-sized nem for $10 feel free to stop by. If you are looking for the loonie sized it is already traded. If you do not show up, I have a secondary list of people who are interested. Wow - I have logged over a hundred emails just to try to give these little baby nems a home! Hoping to see you Sunday!

muck
01-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Let them sit and wait in the driveway until 12 noon.. :razz::razz:

Pier Pressure
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I will probably not be home until noon so early-comers will be waiting. I had no idea how much work this would be. I feel like I am running an anemone shop. Oh, well, too many answers beats no answers at all!

Pier Pressure
01-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Well, here I am on Sunday at 12:30 and I have not had anyone stop by yet. I went and bought little containers for transport and Rod has already started to remove the baby nems from the rocks and put them into the little containers. I have a print out on the care of rbta's waiting, too, for anyone who cares to read it. Looking forward to meeting some people and think I will have enough for those on the secondary list regardless. Every time we turn over a rock, there seems to be another one!

Pier Pressure
01-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I am not sure if anyone cares but the first one just walked out the door. Nice people and this is really fun!

impreza
01-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I hope I can get one of these from you eventually!

Pier Pressure
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM
It has been drawn to my attention that these may be majano (sp.?) anemones. They kind of look like them, though I cannot find a picture of a majano with the dark red tips that these have. Rather than risking selling a pest to somebody, I have decided to call off the whole deal. I have only sold two so far and would be happy to refund people's money. What a lot of time/work/effort for nothing. I am so embarrassed - I thought with the red tips they were rbta's for sure. Sorry for wasting everyone's time! Has anyone seen majano anemones with red tips before?

parkinsn
01-12-2009, 07:08 PM
It has been drawn to my attention that these may be majano (sp.?) anemones. They kind of look like them, though I cannot find a picture of a majano with the dark red tips that these have. Rather than risking selling a pest to somebody, I have decided to call off the whole deal. I have only sold two so far and would be happy to refund people's money. What a lot of time/work/effort for nothing. I am so embarrassed - I thought with the red tips they were rbta's for sure. Sorry for wasting everyone's time! Has anyone seen majano anemones with red tips before?

i have mojano's with red tips, they do look close to a RBTA.

simba
01-12-2009, 07:30 PM
pm'ed

Pier Pressure
01-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I am just glad I did not distribute them to everyone and then find out they were pests afterwards. We manually removed all we could yesterday and plan to use a syringe to catch any others that show up. Can I dose vinegar or lemon juice right into my tank or do I have to remove the rocks, does anyone know?

I guess it was kind of funny. Here is my significant other carefully removing them from the rocks, making sure not to hurt them, placing them gently into these little plastic containers we picked up just for the occasion. We even had an rbta care sheet printed up for people to read if they wanted. An hour later - we were flushing them left, right and centre!

Myka
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Hehehe, this is a really cute story. :)

Pier Pressure
01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks. If we do not post our mistakes we cannot help other people learn, and nobody wants that.
I had a person say that they still wanted some for a fish and live rock set up. I told him the whole story about spreading, stinging, etc. Does anyone know if this would cause issues? He wants them to spread on the rocks to make it look more marine-like, and with no corals he should have no issues. Anyone?

Delphinus
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
You should post a picture, majano or not, I don't think I've ever seen a "rose" coloured majano before. I'd still love to see them! :lol:

I thought you said some of them were loonie sized, if so, seems to me that's an awfully big majano.. The pencil-eraser sized ones though, that seems like a fairly typical majano size (I think).

I have brown majano's taking over my 110g cube, other than a bit unsightly and proliferating faster than I would like, they don't seem to be causing a problem. However I'm hoping to move my CBB in there soon enough to shutdown the tank he's in and I'm hoping he has a zest for majano to the same degree he has a zest for aiptasia..

Myka
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
I've seen many a Majano that is 2" across.

Delphinus
01-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Ooof.

Pier Pressure
01-12-2009, 09:49 PM
I only had two or three that were around loonie-sized, and upon discussion with another canreefer it seemed impossible that an rbta was splitting so often and providing so many new ones. When we started moving rocks around the little suckers were everywhere. The speed at which they were multiplying made it seem obvious it must be a pest of some sort. They were not bright red but I wrote that off to the pc lighting. The only mojano I had seen before was green, but when I checked on the net again there are red ones, too.

So Myka, you liked the story of how we gently removed them at first. Picture me DIRECT FEEDING these things. No wonder some got to loonie-sized! The more I think about it the funnier it is.

Or I just flushed about $200 worth of rbtas down the toilet. Gotta love reefing!

Borderjumper
01-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I really DID laugh at this " Picture me DIRECT FEEDING these things":smilecol:

Pier Pressure
01-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Nothing like taking the problem and multiplying it x10. I just got home from work and can already see there are still small ones in there. But I have someone who wants to add them to a FOWLR set up. He can take them for free!