PDA

View Full Version : ZEO leap

niloc16
12-17-2008, 12:33 AM
well today i was at aquatic addictions and checked out the sales on the zeo systems. i finally took the plunge. i have studied this system for the past 2 years and hummed and hawed up it the whole time. i think this might be the step for me to take to get my tank back to where it was. i have a large bioload in my system so a nutrient export is what i need. i have a 3 ltr reactor that actually fit with lots of room in my sump. i have the zeolite soaking right now. i started dosing tonight. here is my regiment that i am take now. if you have suggestions about it PLEASE let me know because i am brand new at it.

i'm dosing 12 drops each of:
potassium iodide fluoride
sponge power
amino acid
sylo-pocci glow
coral vitalizer

and 12mls each of
pohls b balance
pohls xtra
coral snow

i have not started the zeobak yet because like i say i have the zeolites soaking right now.

i'm going to try and keep an updated thread as to how this works out. i'm hoping for the best

globaldesigns
12-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Welcome to ZeoLand, you will love the results...

I would also recommend the following:

- of course zeoBak, like you said
- ZeoFood7, this is done twice a week with the zeoBak
- ZeoStart, done daily (2ml per 250 gallons) and helps enhances the zeosystem
- ZeoSpur2, done every 7-10 days

otherwise you have everything else I use. I don't use sponge power, but that is because I don't have any sponges that I care about.

I am running a 1.5L reactor for my 175gallon DT and 105 gallon refugium, I didn't need the 3L, as it wouldn't fit, but the 1.5L is working well

I find that what is very important is a good skimmer. I was having problems with some algae that just couldn't kill. I put in a EuroReef rs180 skimmer and it performed magic. I must say the EuroReef is the King and now algae is under control, or should I say almost, some dead stuff hanging around for the Tangs to eat.

I also run a Deltec 509 fluidizer with carbon that then is fed into a 2 little fishies fluidizer (also with carbon), for a double treatment. I find this also works very well with the Zeovit, as it is recommended that carbon is run 24/7

I hope this helps, have fun.... Zeovit isn't cheap, but I can say the results are nice.

niloc16
12-17-2008, 03:36 AM
thanks for the response. im' going to use zeostart and zeobak once i put the media in. these two are added to the reactor arent they? i was under the impression that if i run the coral vitalizer that the zeofood7 is not needed.

dkcrx
12-17-2008, 03:55 AM
well I'm about 1 week in just useing addatives, don't have my 4L reactor installed yet, but am seeing some positive results. reactor will be up befor newyears. Collin you should come by some time.

niloc16
12-17-2008, 04:12 AM
definitly, i'd love to check it out. tell me where and when bud

niloc16
12-17-2008, 04:12 AM
im' just hoping my dosing regime is ok right now

albert_dao
12-17-2008, 04:23 AM
thanks for the response. im' going to use zeostart and zeobak once i put the media in. these two are added to the reactor arent they? i was under the impression that if i run the coral vitalizer that the zeofood7 is not needed.

You can drop Food7 in lieu of AA`s, but won`t need either if you have any significant algae issues.

Johnny Reefer
12-17-2008, 04:26 AM
I'm dosing ZeoFood7 and Coral Vitalizer (among other supplements). This was recommended by my LFS and Zeovit.com

Just a little blurb....not meant as a hijack. Started Zeovit about 5 weeks ago. Why? NO3 and PO4 high. Wishful thinking had me hoping my dosing regime would do the trick. Not that easy. Started daily 20% water changes 4 days ago. Using the Reefer's Best salt. NO3 and PO4 are still not there yet, but are coming down...but the water clarity now is unbelievable. Colours have improved too, but I'm wondering if this is partly due to the amazing water clarity. Time will tell if weekly water changes (and continued dosing) will sustain things. So far, I'm impressed.

Check out Zeovit.com, if you haven't already. There is a message board there.

Cheers,

niloc16
12-17-2008, 04:34 AM
You can drop Food7 in lieu of AA`s, but won`t need either if you have any significant algae issues.

sorry albert im' a bit confused. i'm not using food7 but i am using aa's. should i stop using coral vitalizer then?

Haloreef
12-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey Colin! I guess now that you took the plunge I will have to too. This keeping up with the "Jones's" is going to get me divorced. I guess I will just move into your house, we can combine our tanks. Keep us updated on the progress. Take lots of before and after shots!
PS. how is the blasto doing?
Keith.

niloc16
12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
blasto is doing good so far. you can move into the basement and we can make a 'mother' tank of all tanks

albert_dao
12-17-2008, 05:45 PM
sorry albert im' a bit confused. i'm not using food7 but i am using aa's. should i stop using coral vitalizer then?

Coral Vitalizer is a food product, you can continue using it as long as you don't see any darkening of the coral tissue.

fencer
12-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey Colin

Why don't you setup a tank journal and document zeo progress. I would be interested in seeing what happens. I know there is another zeo trial going on but the more info the better

Jason McK
12-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Colin, I'm sure there will be others that despute what I will say. But...

Start with the basic 4 ZeoLith, ZeoBac, ZeoFood7, and ZeoStart. Leave all the other stuff aside until you have you changed out your ZeoLith twice. Really with a higher nutrient system (until Zeovit is established and working) your wasting a lot of those addatives

J

niloc16
12-17-2008, 09:27 PM
thanks J. i was on zeovit site last night for a couple hours and i think i came to that same conclusion. thanks man. i should start a journal on this for sure. now where do i find the extra time. i could quit eating and drinking, ah no i'll just quit eating

niloc16
12-17-2008, 09:28 PM
one more question does the CV need to be in the fridge. it doesnt say anywhere on the bottle that it does but someone mentioned it

Jason McK
12-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Just drinking is really helping me. Good Carbs in beer

albert_dao
12-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Colin, I'm sure there will be others that despute what I will say. But...

Start with the basic 4 ZeoLith, ZeoBac, ZeoFood7, and ZeoStart. Leave all the other stuff aside until you have you changed out your ZeoLith twice. Really with a higher nutrient system (until Zeovit is established and working) your wasting a lot of those addatives

J

I'd agree with you on that point except on the Coral Vitalizer. The benefits of CV are quick to show even in tanks that are not ULN. But back off the dose if tissue darkening occurs.

albert_dao
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
one more question does the CV need to be in the fridge. it doesnt say anywhere on the bottle that it does but someone mentioned it

There's no harm in keeping the latest revision of CV at room temperature or lower, but it definitely doesn't hurt to throw it into the fridge. The same can be said of Zeobak.

Aquatic Addictions
12-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Ahh Ic now what has kept you from coming out yet :wink: To many wobbly pops eh:lol: . Good to see you here Jason and thank you for the added tips for all to read on the Zeo.

Dan

Just drinking is really helping me. Good Carbs in beer

Haloreef
12-19-2008, 03:18 AM
I stopped by A.A today and picked up the following Zeo products; Pohl's extra, Coral snow, Sponge power, Amino Acid and Coral Vitalizer. I have an SPS dominated 90gal sumpless reef. I have started dosing as per instructions. Is there anything I should add, or subtract. I will add the reactor when the 220gal with 75gal sump comes on line.
Sorry to hi-jack your thread, Colin.
Keith.

niloc16
12-19-2008, 03:51 AM
hey keith i've learned that we should not be adding that stuff until about 4 - 6 weeks after using zeolite, zeostart, zeofood7, and zeobac. they say it may be ok to use the CV and SP but the others we should wait to add after the corals have started to lighten up.

niloc16
12-19-2008, 05:32 AM
well the second day after the initial dose there is a couple sps that are really po'd. the stripped out in the middle of the colony and the other at the tip. i have stopped dosing everything i had initially and i am going to go with the basics to start. i guess i had not enough info yet to get started, but live and learn. i still need to upload some pics to keep updated on here but as of now nothing is good, doesnt help my bloody skimmer is not running because of the recirc pump

albert_dao
12-19-2008, 06:03 PM
What's your kH?

niloc16
12-19-2008, 06:09 PM
when i tested 2 or 3 days ago it was 9

Jason McK
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
Colin are you following the guide?

J

niloc16
12-19-2008, 06:28 PM
i was to a point, but i have now stopped dosing and i am waiting for the zeobak, zeostart to come in so i can start fresh and from the beginning. i jumped the gun for sure. i was under the impression that i could use these other additives during the start stage as well but i dont think that was right.

Haloreef
12-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I have only dosed for the one night. I was under the impression that you could dose the additives I listed with or with out the reactor and Zeo back etc. I had great colour and polyp extension before the dose. I had payed special attention to a powder blue stag that was starting to encrust at the base. I wanted to see what would happen. Know what happened? RTN! Deep breath! I will take a step back and look at this again. All other corals seemed ok this morning before I left for work. Fingers crossed.

Jason McK
12-19-2008, 07:24 PM
It is quite common to none Zeo Tank to dose Amino Acids, Coral vitalizer, Coral Snow, Sponge Power and Extra. but you will not experience the same results as you would with a Zeo Tank. The results are still very good.

But Zeo Tank I mean a tank that is running the basic 4 and has established a low nutrient system

Haloreef
12-19-2008, 08:38 PM
I will be adding the reactor onto my 220 gal. when it is up and running in the new year but right now on this tank I have no sump. A hang on reactor would solve this but as far as I know there is no such thing. Should the doses be based on the size/gallon of the tank or on the actual amout of water less the rock in the system? Seems like a stupid question but I do not need another tank crash for the hollidays. Guess I'm just nervous.

Jason McK
12-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Dosage should be based on Water volume less sand and rock

J

albert_dao
12-19-2008, 09:07 PM
You kH is too high. Anything beyond 7-8 and you will get burnt tips and unhappy coral.

Haloreef
12-20-2008, 02:13 AM
Is it just me or is 7-8 kh lower than most of us keep are tanks? I have talked to very successful reefers that aim for 8-10 I even had someone tell me they tried to keep their reef at 10-11 kh. If this apearently low kh is a requirement I wish it was stated on some of the literature I read. Or on any of the bottles for that matter. I have only had the powder blue stag rtn from the tip every thing else seems ok.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Jason McK
12-20-2008, 03:53 AM
Page 27 section 10 of the Zeo guide outline in black and white what perameter that are required. Actual NSW has a DKH of about 7.

niloc16
12-23-2008, 02:32 AM
so i restarted the zeo gong show tonight. i have 1.5l of the zeolite in the reactor, 10ml zeofood7,10ml zeobac and 1ml of the zeostart tonight. my potassium is down to about 200 so i started dosing k balance strong to bring it up a bit. i tested tonight and my alk is still 9kh ca is 400 and mg is 1260. i have pretty much lost one colony since starting this and 2 others have some branches stripped out. so we'll see where this gets me

Johnny Reefer
12-23-2008, 04:51 AM
...., 10ml zeofood7,10ml zeobac ....
10ml, or 10 drops?

niloc16
12-23-2008, 05:53 AM
:biggrin:sorry yeah, 10 drops

niloc16
12-24-2008, 03:16 AM
so its day 2 of the system running 'properly'. im still bringing up my potassium. as i can tell death has stopped. thank god. on my lime in the sky that was starting to strip has pretty good extension today. what i dosed today

10 drops zeobac and zeofood7
1ml of zeostart2 in am and 1ml in pm
10 drops of coral vitalizer and 10 drops of sponge power.
i turned my skimmer off for 15 min approx and cleaned the zeolite.

so thats it for now. i need to get some pics going on here to show the beginning.

Delphinus
12-24-2008, 03:45 AM
Man alive, how are you people able to discern numbers in that horrible joke of a potassium test kit?? Maybe I have a dud? Mine is an absolute piece of ****. The instructions say "take the number that the colour strip is barely visible through the sample" well mine is absolute white non-transparent completely unable to see through it whatso-friggin-ever. What are the odds that an undosed tank has >400 potassium?? Not likely!!

Sorry for the rant but I would give my eyeteeth to figure out HOW on earth are people able to discern something like 200 using that test kit ...

niloc16
12-24-2008, 03:48 AM
well if your liquid is totally transparent then you have extremely low potassium. the numbering system they have is fague but 380 should have a hint of pink/orange to the liquid according to the chart. are you using the zeo or whatever make it is test kit

Delphinus
12-24-2008, 04:16 AM
I'm using the K-Z one (the Zeovit one). I don't remember reading anything about a pink/orange colour? It's totally white and the liquid is the total opposite of totally transparent. Opaque? Is that the word? I'm not sure. "Opaque" to me implies some translucency. It may as well be whole milk, there's no seeing through the liquid. If I take a flashlight and shine it up through the bottom then I have a vague perception of the colour strip but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not.

So there's a colour? Ok I'm more convinced than ever before I might have a dud test kit. :neutral: I need to find someone close to me who tests K so I can compare test results maybe.

Thanks for the info, sorry for the hijack and good luck with the zeo. Other than the KZ K test kit I have only positive things to say about zeo. :)

niloc16
12-24-2008, 06:00 AM
dont apologize bud. i'm glad peoople are adding to this. i'm gonna sacrifice myself with screw up and stuff to help everyone else. so any input you got have at er

albert_dao
12-24-2008, 01:41 PM
I'm using the K-Z one (the Zeovit one). I don't remember reading anything about a pink/orange colour? It's totally white and the liquid is the total opposite of totally transparent. Opaque? Is that the word? I'm not sure. "Opaque" to me implies some translucency. It may as well be whole milk, there's no seeing through the liquid. If I take a flashlight and shine it up through the bottom then I have a vague perception of the colour strip but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not.

So there's a colour? Ok I'm more convinced than ever before I might have a dud test kit. :neutral: I need to find someone close to me who tests K so I can compare test results maybe.

Thanks for the info, sorry for the hijack and good luck with the zeo. Other than the KZ K test kit I have only positive things to say about zeo. :)

The boys at Gold's do K-test Tony.

Johnny Reefer
12-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I'm using the K-Z one (the Zeovit one). I don't remember reading anything about a pink/orange colour? It's totally white and the liquid is the total opposite of totally transparent. Opaque? Is that the word? I'm not sure. "Opaque" to me implies some translucency. It may as well be whole milk, there's no seeing through the liquid. .....
I had the very same issue. Only used it the one time. I'll give it another go, but no time now. After Xmas. (FWIW, other than one Turbinaria I don't keep SPS and didn't really need to buy the damn thing anyway :rolleyes:).

Cheers,

niloc16
12-24-2008, 05:56 PM
one thing i have noticed is the reduction in algae on the glass. i have not had to clean the glass since i started this. thats one bonus i guess.

niloc16
12-27-2008, 01:14 AM
well its been a few days and not alot is different. a major change is the amount of skimmate. every day is a full cup where as before i would clean it every 3rd day or so. death has stopped on most, one large colony has very very slow stripping in spots. as the potassium comes up i am noticing a difference in the purple tips and blue tips being more prominent.

Johnny Reefer
12-29-2008, 04:58 PM
I tested for K again, using the Korallen-Zucht kit. Oy vey :rolleyes:. The main issue(s) I have with the kit is Step 5.

Quote: "After 4 minutes place the test vial into the 'positioning device' on the color strip starting on the right side of the color bar."
Positioning device? Do they mean that piece of cardboard with a hole in it that the test vial doesn't fit into?

Quote: "Look from top through the milky liquid to the color strip".
The liquid is milky! How the heck is one suppose to look through it?

Quote: "Push the test vial with the positioning device slowly from right to left until you can hardly or no longer see the color strip."
Again, can't see the color strip in the first place because the solution is milky.

Quote: "In the middle of the test vial you will have the potassium concentration of your tankwater."
Huh? In the middle of the test vial? What the heck is that suppose to mean?

Quote: "Remove the positioning device and read off the potassium concentration in mg/l on the color strip."
Again, the "positioning device" can't be attached in the first place.

After having used this kit twice now, I've concluded that Step 5 is just a fancy-schmancy convuluted and confusing way of simply saying "After 4 minutes compare the solution to the color strip." I got what looked to be about 250 mg/l.

But I digress, as not being a keeper of SPS, I really don't need this kit. I guess I'm just in a rant mood. Sorry for the mini-hijack. Back to you.

Cheers,

Delphinus
12-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Amen man!! I've ranted about that too before. It makes no sense! You can't see through the liquid! Period. There's just no way.

But if you're supposed to just compare the liquid colour to the test strip, why wouldn't the instructions just say that??? There's no way that's a German to English translation error.

albert_dao
12-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Amen man!! I've ranted about that too before. It makes no sense! You can't see through the liquid! Period. There's just no way.

But if you're supposed to just compare the liquid colour to the test strip, why wouldn't the instructions just say that??? There's no way that's a German to English translation error.

I'm in town, we should meet up =D