PDA

View Full Version : An anemone tank?

Patrice
12-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi,
RBTA are invading my little 25 gallons reef tank. They split every 3 to 5 months and it's a problem; they kill corals and take too much space.

Looks like I can't sell them up here in Yellowknife so I am thinking about moving the corals into an other tank and keep only anemones in the other tank.
I have been looking for information about tanks with only anemones but all I found is something about a guy who keep RBTA in a 65 gallons tank.

-What about keeping a few species in the same tank?
-Can I crowd them or will they need lots of room between each? right now, my RBTA likes to hang together in the same spot. Will it be the same it there is different species in there?

Thanks for your advices!

Carmen
12-16-2008, 09:41 PM
OOH wish you were here!

Patrice
12-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Don't tell me you are looking for RBTA? :lol:

Nebthet
12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Heck if you could fedex 1 to me and give me a quote and price, I would most certainly work something out with you.. I am in Ontario though. k8p 3m1.

Patrice
12-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Hi,
Are those RBTA that rare?

I would love to share them with others. I only have 3 of them at home and a few more at work but I know they are gonna split again soon.
I am a little scare about shipping that far. You see, someone stupid decided to make shipping a little different up north. Fedex, UPS, Purolator and Canada Post do not have to respect shipping time. They say it's because we are too far! That's crap! I could get a one day shipping from Vancouver to Halifax but not from Yellowknife to Edmonton! There is direct fly from here to Edmonton, Calgary and Saskatoon every freaking hours!

Right now, Canadian North is the best way for me to ship but only to Edmonton and Calgary (and it cost a little :mrgreen:)
I have been looking for a way to ship stuff from here and right now, the best way would be Canada Post Priority Mail. It's a 2 day shipping from here. I am about to give it a try with some hardy species (don't know which one yet).

Because of all that crap with shipping, I am always stuck with my stuff!:twised:

If there is anyone managing any of those transportation companies on this forum: I hate you :biggrin: (with passion)

Keri
12-17-2008, 05:05 AM
An anemone only tank is certainly do-able, but many people don't recommend mixing types as they can fight. It's risky. If you have all of the same RBTAs (clones of one "parent" like you allready have) they will not fight. It would be neat to have a dedicated clown and anemone tank!

Patrice
12-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Hi!
I understand your point! I don't think that would be nice to have a tank full of the same RBTA. Some variation in colour and shape would be great.

I don't know much about how aggressive anemone can be with each other. The only experience I have is a RBTA who killed my finger leather within 3 days.

Some might be less aggressive than others.
Do you know if some species would do best for that kind of setup?

Keri
12-17-2008, 05:17 AM
Some are more aggressive than others, and can grow quite large. What size of tank are you planning with what type and wattage of lights?

Patrice
12-17-2008, 12:35 PM
For now, it is a 25 gallons with a 150W MH but I can always upgrade a little. Looks like the light is strong enough for the anemones for now.

The anemones I have do not grow too much and are about the size of my hand. This is probably because they don't get too much food. I usually feed them 1 shrimp every 2 a weeks. I have been feeding RBTA like this in 2 tanks for close to 2 years and they do well. I am sure they can take more but they would grow much larger I am sure.

I could simply add new anemones one at the time and always make sure the first are well established and have enough space before to add an other one. If they need more space after a while, I'll give them some space.

What ever the space I have, I would preffer to find some less aggressive species for that system.

Doug
12-17-2008, 01:25 PM
A friend on another board has a tank thats just full of RBTA. I dont recal how many are in there, as I think he,s lost count. One happy clown lives in it and for a long time now, a yellow tang. Dont recall the size but its at least a 90g if not larger. I will find the pic when over there.

Patrice
12-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Thanks Doug! :biggrin:

Could it be this tank? (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/totm/index.php)