PDA

View Full Version : Tank failures: who has had this happen to them

trilinearmipmap
05-12-2003, 06:10 AM
I have read of multiple tank failures on this board and on other boards.

On other boards I have read especially about bowfront tank failures.

I am wondering about the rate of tank failures, and also about which brands of tanks have failed. Not counting failures due to mishandling the tank, uneven stand etc.

If anyone can put there experiences down it would be good information.

For the record I have had no tank failures after many years of keeping different tanks but I have only had a big tank (75g) for less than a year.

christyf5
05-12-2003, 06:24 AM
"Not Yet"?? Thats optimistic :wink: :razz:

Christy :)

CHEAPREEF
05-12-2003, 06:27 AM
Two weeks ago the bottom cracked out of my 40gal cube, it was bought form Aquarium Illusions about 2 months prior. The crack was not due to misshandleing or the stand bein uneven. It's going back tomorrow or the nextday so i'll know more soon.

Clinton

Dale D
05-12-2003, 07:42 AM
I have never had a tank fail on me. (knock on wood) But, all these horror stories lately have had me thinking about down sizing. :frown:

canadawest
05-12-2003, 08:21 AM
I had my 100 gal split on one seam about 5 months after getting it. Now it is a custom made tank (aka not professionaly made) and I did buy it used, so not sure how old it is was when I got it, but nonetheless it happend.

Woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of water "gurgling" and splashing, which is odd because my sumpless tank is dead quiet.

Walked into the front room where the tank is to discover about 30 gallons of water all over my hardwood floors!!! :eek:

Tank had split on one corner from the top to about 1/3 of the way down, allowing approx 1/3 of the tank water to trickle out. (100 gal tank!!)

Did a late night cleanup, drained the tank down to 1/2 full (below the split) and re-siliconed it the next day. Let it cure for 24 hours before filling the tank back up. Thankfully I didn't lose any livestock during the ordeal, and it hasn't been a problem since (1 1/2 years later).

I do worry about it still sometimes, and definitely will feel better when I replace it with a new tank.

StirCrazy
05-12-2003, 04:27 PM
when i was younger our 480 split down the the center of the bottom sometine during the night. I got out of bed to about 1/2" of water on the floor. The rest of the night was spent by me and my dad catching fish and putting them in buckets and cleaning up water.

we ended up using the tand agan but only as a 230 gal tank.

the failure was due to a uneven stand

wayne170747
05-12-2003, 04:43 PM
I've got a 46 gallon All-Glass bow front. So far no problems. This particular one is built with a plastic strap linking the front and rear panes.

Wish I hadn't seen this post, now I'm a bit worried.

Trevor Robertson
05-13-2003, 02:08 AM
I have not had any problems at all and I have a cheap set up that I have put back together from it coming apart on the person that I purchased the tank used from.

I have had the tank running now for a few months but it was running before for over a year. and I have had a 55 gal freshwater tank that has been running for over 3 years with not a problem. I must say that I never used to worry about tanks cracking but lately I have been checking almost every day to make sure that there is no extra water under my tanks but as I said not a problem (yet).

Well good luck to all I hope this rash of problems ends now. But if it does happen anyone in edmonton send me a quick email and I will be glad to help in anyway I can.